playing to the gallery

August 7th, 2008 by poobalan | View blog reactions Leave a reply »
 Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe by Email



On one side, there’s condemnation of the Bar Council organised forum on conversion, but at MCCBCHST’s dinner yesterday, Prime Minister Badawi sang a different tune. He says that more interfaith dialogues should be held to ensure continuous harmony among Malaysians of different religions. He would ask Unity, Culture, Arts and Heritage Minister Datuk Seri Shafie Apdal to continue having such dialogues.

“I will tell Shafie to do what is good and have such meetings as regularly as he can. At some of these meetings, I plan to sit in, too,” he said at the silver jubilee dinner of the Malaysian Consultative Council of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism and Taoism.

Abdullah assured those present that what he said was not merely a ploy to pacify and please non-Muslims.

“I understand your concerns and try to do whatever I can to find solutions to issues involving non-Muslims. We are brothers and sisters who must work together and continue practising tolerance and patience as a way forward for this nation.”

Abdullah said non-Muslims, however, must understand and respect that matters relating to the aqidah (faith) of Islam could neither be “touched” nor “changed”. But he assured non-Muslims that
they would be treated fairly and justly as required by the Quran and Allah. “When we are friends, between Muslims and the non-Muslims, it is easy to work things out.”

Abdullah said he had been entrusted with the responsibility of looking after the affairs of all Malaysians. “For me, justice for all is the most important thing. It is the command of Allah to be trustworthy in executing my duties. The people have trusted me and expect me to deliver. “I am here to assure you that all are protected and can enjoy living in Malaysia as Malaysians.”

Earlier, the council’s president, Datuk A. Vaithilingam, said members had discovered that by sitting together and talking through interfaith differences, potential flashpoints and major problems could be avoided and disputes settled peacefully and amicably. However, he claimed many non-Muslims felt marginalised in today’s Malaysia.

Well, can’t blame him. Politicians have to say things according to the situation. We can’t trust them.

Advertisement

3 comments

  1. Killer says:

    Put yourself in Badawi’s position. He has 60% of Muslims to please while hear the opinion of the other 40%. It is easy to take a stand from the position of one group but to be fair to both sides is almost impossible.

    The problem with many non Muslims is the same as the Muslims, an inability to see the point of view of the other side.

    In the cyber space, much of the dicussion is dominated by the non Muslims and much of the opinion of the Muslims have not been given due attention. Suggest you guys speak to the Muslims and read the Malay papers (or surf Muslim blogs) to gauge their feelings.

  2. VJ says:

    ‘some’ would not be able to take criticism that easily . Probably it used to such feeling and were in comfort zone .
    Look at the bombardment Hinduism is taking . How many times we’ve seen Hindu deity pictures in shoes and undergarments ? Look at TamilNadu ruling party and how they have been critizing Hindu deities since ‘Periyaar’ . There are ancient and old cultures and religion that came thru harsh roads throughout centuries .

  3. Killer says:

    VJ

    DMK and AADMK were founded on atheist principles. Even today CM Karunanithi does to pray though he does not stop his wife and kids from doing that.

    Hinduism is a passive religion unlike the more aggressive Islam and Christianity. Perhaps that’s why Christians have managed to convert Hindus by hundreds of thousands in India.