Convoy during Vinayagar Chaturthi

August 27th, 2009 by poobalan | View blog reactions Leave a reply »
 Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe by Email

Since last Sunday was Vinayagar Chaturthi, and coincidentally, there was a wedding to attend in KL (Ganesan Kulai’s), we decided to drop by Kotumalai Pillaiyar Temple (Jalan Pudu). The crowd was still there at around 10am, and traffic was bad. Managed to just prayer from outside the temple.

Anyway, before reaching the temple, we saw an elephant being transported on a lorry, followed by few lorries which took part in the record-breaking convoy to mark the birthday of Lord Ganesha.

Record-breaking convoy marks deity’s birthday

KUALA LUMPUR: The country’s longest convoy of 213 lorries took part in a procession held yesterday to celebrate Vinayagar Sathurthi, which marked the birthday of Hindu deity Lord Ganesha.

Measuring some 79.5km long, the convoy, which included an elephant to signify the deity, achieve a new feat in the Malaysia Book of Records.

Hundreds of devotees walked beside the lorries, which had been decorated with portraits of the elephant-headed Hindu god, in a procession that began at 7.30am from the Sri Maha Mariamman temple in Kampung Sungai Kayu Ara.

The procession stopped briefly at various places, including the Kottu Malai Pillaiyar temple in Jalan Pudu Lama and Batu Caves, before making its way back to Sri Maha Mariamman.

Big day: Devotees marking Lord Ganesha’s birthday celebration at Court Hill temple in Puduraya, Kuala Lumpur, Sunday.

Among the devotees at the Kottu Malai temple was 47-year-old secondary school teacher J.K. Vassanthi, who has been taking a fast of silence in homage to Lord Ganesha’s birthday for the past 28 years.

Accompanying her was her husband R. Ravindren, 48, who said his wife had been a devotee of Lord Ganesha before their marriage.

“She is thanking the deity for granting all her wishes and has even named our son after Him,” he said.

Another devotee who came to offer her prayers there was a Chinese woman, who embraced Hinduism three years ago.

“I feel calm and serene in this temple,” said the woman, who only wanted to be known as Adeline.

The 32-year-old fitness trainer said she often prayed at a nearby temple but decided to drop by Kottu Malai after finding out about the festival.

Clerk C. Minatchi, 31, said she had been going to the temple every week for six years since her prayers had been an-swered.

“My brother had gone into coma after an accident. I prayed to Lord Ganesha and 10 days later, my brother recovered,” she said.

Port company executive C. Kaleappan, 51, said he had been travelling all the way from Penang with his family to celebrate the occasion at Kottu Malai for the past 18 years.

“I feel a special bond with this temple and with the blessings of the Lord, my family is prosperous and healthy,” he said, who came with his wife and three daughters.


Comments are closed.