Posts Tagged ‘CFM’

convert cant renounce yet

December 3rd, 2007
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Convert will have to wait for decision
source

Opalyn Mok
PENANG (Dec 3, 2007): A Chinese convert seeking to renounce Islam will have to wait longer before the Penang syariah court can deliver a decision on her application as another mention date was fixed for the case.

The last time the case came up in court in August, it was supposed to deliver a decision on Siti Fatimah Tan Abdullah's application but the decision was postponed after she was ordered to attend counselling sessions first.However,when the report of her counselling sessions was submitted to the court today, Siti Fatimah and her lawyer were not present.Syariah court judge Mohd Zawawi Nor fixed Dec 31 for mention to enable the court to study the report. Ahmad Munawir Abdul Aziz, representing the Penang Islamic Religious Council, had submitted the report to the court this morning.

Siti Fatimah, previously known as Tan Ean Huang, 38, from Nibong Tebal, filed her application to renounce Islam on July 10 last year. In August, she was ordered by the court to attend counselling sessions and a report was to be submitted to the court for a decision on her application.In her affidavit, Siti Fatimah claimed she converted to the religion on July 25, 1998, in order to marry an Iranian man, who later left her.She stated that she had never practised the faith since embracing the religion and had continued to eat pork and practised the Buddhist faith. She filed the application to renounce Islam after her husband left her.

missionary schools safe, for now?

December 3rd, 2007
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


No one from BN complained!

well, you can read the issue here, complete with links to the handsard as well. Anyway, note that the reply from Noh Omar states that its "tradition" rather than "history". Anyway, i suppose tradition or history, both can be changed when needed.

Images and crosses won't be removed
source

KUALA LUMPUR (Dec 3, 2007): Deputy Education Minister Datuk Noh Omar says the government is not removing the images of Jesus, Mary or the Cross from mission schools. 

"This is tradition and there is no reason why they should not be continued," he said in reply to a question by Lim Kit Siang (DAP-Ipoh Timur) in the Dewan Rakyat (Parliament) today. Lim had repeatedly asked Noh why there was no explanation from Education Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein on the matter, raised by Syed Hood Syed Edros (BN-Parit Sulong) more than a month ago.

Syed Hood had, on Oct 29, said the board of directors of mission run schools were partially administered by churches in foreign countries.

"I was also made to understand that the application to build suraus in some of these schools had to go through the approval of these boards of directors since they are partially administered by the church. It shames me that the school administrations are still controlled by the church," he had said. Syed Hood said he was made to understand that many Muslim parents sent their children to these schools and complained that sometimes the school started the morning with "church songs".

Datuk Mohamad Aziz (Sri Gading) interjected and declared: "I am not shocked at all. During the last Hari Raya, I was told by a father, when Aidilfitri was celebrated, these types of schools were not closed."

Later, in the Parliament lobby, Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz , asked on the matter, said the public could lodge a police report if they are upset over the remarks."They can't make seditious remarks even though they have immunity as MPs. MPs are not above the Sedition Act. I am not going to condone any seditious statements made by anybody," he said. Nazri said no one from the BN had complained about Syed Hood's call on the mission schools.

hindraf should meet PM without conditions

December 3rd, 2007
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


No conditions must be attached if PM meets Hindraf, says Nazri
source
Husna Yusop
KUALA LUMPUR (Dec 3, 2007): If there is going to be any meeting between the Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf) and Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, it must be done without any conditions and in a mutually-agreed manner, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz said. 

Otherwise, he said, Hindraf would be seen to be giving an ultimatum to the government, and the government will not bow to this.

While stressing that he was only giving his personal opinion, he also said that should the prime minister agree to meet the group, it must be with the presence of the MIC. "Otherwise, we may be interpreted as having lost confidence in the MIC in handling Indian issues. These are just my thoughts. The PM will have the last say."But, in my opinion, any meeting should not leave out the MIC because it has always been our partner for the last 50 years with regards to matters relating to the Indians," he said in Parliament lobby today , after the opening of the Asean Inter-Parliamentary Caucus for Good Governance.

Yesterday, Hindraf called for a dialogue with Abdullah to discuss the social and economic problems faced by the Indians. This was following an illegal rally staged by Hindraf in Kuala Lumpur on Nov 25, to voice concerns on the issues faced by the community. At least 94 people have been charged for allegedly being involved in the illegal assembly.

Asked why the government did not allow peaceful demonstrations, Mohamed Nazri said there were historical reasons for this, citing the May 13, 1969, incident when demonstrations led to racial riots. "There is no point talking about rule of law when many lives have been sacrificed," he said. He added that in multi-racial Malaysia, some of the issues raised by certain groups may be interpreted as challenges to other groups.He also said the government was responsible for ensuring the country remained peaceful and stable.

"If we do know a demonstration can lead to something which may be explosive and violent, [but we still allow it], if anything happens later, the buck stops at the government. People will ask, ‘Why did you allow it when you know it was bound to happen?’ "I have respect for human rights but I am prepared to withdraw the human rights of three or four people in order to protect the human rights of the majority," he said, adding that the Nov 25 demonstration was instigated by a few people and that the majority of the Indians were happy with the government.

Asked to comment on Hindraf legal adviser P. Uthayakumar’s remark that Hindraf had resorted to the rally because it had exhausted all avenues to overcome the community’s problems, Mohamed Nazri said it was not a valid claim. "Whatever you do, you cannot have it your way all the time," he said. He advised Hindraf supporters to work with the government or register the group as a political party to face the ruling government in the general election.

On Hindraf’s request for a special committee and hotline at the Prime Minister’s Office to respond to issues concerning the Indian community, Mohamed Nazri said: "This is a government which listens but it must be done in a proper way."

Asked to comment on Hindraf’s complaint about the demolition of temples, he said he agreed it was insensitive of the officials in Selangor to tear down the temples on the eve of Deepavali."I agree that was stupid of the officials not to be considerate in sensitive matters like this. It could have been done in a better way if we had just waited a few more days and let the Hindus celebrate Deepavali. "[But] I do not think the Mentri Besar [Datuk Seri Dr Mohamad Khir Toyo] has a personal vendetta against the Hindus. I think, we put it to experience, which he probably lacks. I agree that matters touching on religious issues should be handled more cautiously and not be done in a wanton way according to one’s whims and fancies," he said.He added that the public must understand that the relocation of temples or surau on government land was common in the process of development.

india concerned about malaysian indians

November 30th, 2007
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


thanks to Nagarajan for highlighting this.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/071130/43/6nwie.html

India to take up issue of ethnic Indians with Malaysia
 
By IANS
Friday November 30, 03:55 PM
New Delhi, Nov 30 (IANS) India Friday said it is concerned about the crackdown on peaceful protests by ethnic Indians in Malaysia and will take up the issue with the country's government.
'Whenever Indian citizens abroad or people of Indian origin are adversely affected, it's a cause of concern,' Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told reporters at a joint press conference with leaders of the European Union.
He was replying to a question on whether his government was planning to take up the issue of alleged victimisation of peaceful protesters with the Malaysian government.
'This is matter which does concern us,' he said.
The prime minister refused to comment any further as External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee was making a statement on the issue in parliament.
'I am in touch with the Malaysian government. We are going to take up the issue with them,' Mukherjee told the Lok Sabha in response to a question on the issue.
At least 80 ethnic Indians were charged in Malaysia early this week for taking part in a rally to demand equal rights in the Muslim-majority country. About 10,000 minority ethnic Indians took out a rally in Kuala Lumpur police last Sunday.
The police used tear gas and water cannons to disperse the protesters. Around 250 people were arrested and three protest organizers were charged with sedition.
Indians comprise eight percent of Malaysia's population of 27 million. They allege that an affirmative action policy favours Malays in government jobs.
 
India taking up Tamil issue with Malaysia
 
NEW DELHI, NOV 30 (PTI)
With ethnic Tamils under attack in Malaysia, the Government today told the Rajya Sabha that New Delhi was taking up the issue with Kuala Lumpur.
 
"The matter is being taken up through diplomatic channel," Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Suresh Pachouri told the House during Zero Hour.
 
He was responding to the concerns of members who took strong exception to a senior Malaysian minister asking Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi to "lay off" from the happenings in that country.
 
Terming as condemnable the ill-treatment being meted out to ethnic Tamils, Pachouri said that after the matter was taken up with the Malaysian authorities, the External Affairs Minister would make a statement in the House.
 
Raising the issue, R Shanmugasundaram (DMK) drew the attention of the Governnment to the statement of the Malaysian Minister on the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister. "This is highly condemnable as the Malaysian Minister has no business to talk like this. The Governnment of India should take appropriate action," he said.
 
S S Ahluwalia (BJP) demanded that the Malaysian envoy to India should be called to explain.
 
B S Gnanadesikan (Cong) expressed serious anguish over the manner in which the Chief Minister was snubbed by the Malaysian minister. He was joined by his party colleague V Narayanaswamy.
 
 
India lawmakers protest treatment of ethnic Indians in M'sia

NEW DELHI (Nov 30, 2007): Several India lawmakers expressed their concern in parliament yesterday over the treatment of ethnic Indians in Malaysia , news reports said.

 
The issue came up both in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha, India's lower and upper house of parliament, PTI and IANS news agencies reported.
 
The legislators expressed concern over the police treatment at a rally by Malaysia's ethnic Indian minority in Kuala Lumpur, demanding equal rights to jobs and education.
 
The protesting lawmakers were largely from India 's southern Tamil Nadu state and cut across party affiliation. Most of Malaysia's ethnic Indian people have origins in Tamil Nadu.
They demanded that the Indian government take up the issue with the Malaysian government and ensure protection of Indian ethnic minorities.
 
Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee disapproved of the motions, and ordered some of the members' remarks expunged from the record.
 
"We are a very responsible democracy," he said. "We don't discuss any other country in such a manner."
 
But Rajya Sabha deputy chairman K.Rahman Khan said India 's external affairs minister would be informed of the sentiments of the lawmakers. – dpa

I will hand over says samy

November 27th, 2007
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Samy Vellu unperturbed by Hindraf protest

source


KUALA LUMPUR (Nov 27, 2007):
MIC president Datuk Seri S.Samy Vellu today dismissed his community's biggest anti-government protest as an opposition ploy and denied he was out of touch with the increasingly agitated Indians.

Sunday (Nov 25)'s Hindraf (Hindu Rights Action Force) rally by more than 10,000 people, who defied water cannon and tear gas to protest racial discrimination, could pose a headache for the government ahead of early polls as Indians are traditionally seen as a vote-bank for the ruling coalition.

In an interview with Reuters, Samy, the combative head of the main ethnic Indian party and Malaysia's longest-serving minister, branded protesters as "trouble makers" and said he was not losing sleep over the bloody demonstration.

"We have fought worst battles than this during elections," the ebullient 71-year-old leader said.

"We don't worry about this. We are confident of winning the next elections handsomely," said Samy, the Works Minister and an architect by training.

"They (the protesters) are fighting to create problems. They are trouble makers," said Samy, dressed in a smart black suit and red tie, as he attended to a handful of Indians in his ministry. His luxurious Mercedes Benz was parked on the driveway.

He has been leader of the Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC) and a cabinet minister since 1979. MIC is a junior partner in Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi's ruling coalition, which is set to call general elections in the next few months.

The Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition dominates the 219-seat parliament with 199 seats.

His friends regard Samy as the "champion of Indians" but foes say he stands in the way of solving the many socio-economic problems facing Malaysia's 1.8 million Indians.

The community, which forms just 7% of Malaysia's 26 million people, is in a parlous state, said a Hindu rights group which called the protest.

It said Indians lacked educational and business opportunities, adding that a government affirmative action policy in favour of majority Malays had marginalised them.

The Indians have always struggled to air their grouses openly. The community's economic clout is a scant 1.5% of national wealth and that too is in the hands of a few top businessmen.

UNFINISHED JOB

Many blame the MIC and Samy, known to some for his authoritarian style, for not quickly solving their woes.

And Sunday's protest, which attracted Indian doctors, lawyers and other professionals as well, could be an eye-opener to the BN, politicians said.

A senior leader of the United Malays National Organisation (Umno), the bulwark of the 14-party BN coalition, said BN should study the Indian grievances and try to overcome them.

"We have to look at the real issues, what is causing this unhappiness and I think BN has to pay attention to it," he said. Samy took the criticism in his stride.

"To me, I can throw the records on the floor on what I have done. I am not a man on the streets. I am a man on the job. There's always unfinished business." But he gave no hint when he would step down.

"I have been around for 29 years. At an appropriate time I will hand over." – Reuters