Archive for the ‘BornInMalaysia’ category

60 reports monthly on rude and racist civil servants

November 30th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Wow! Can’t believe this la! 60 reports for a civil service of more than 1.2 million staff is too small to warrant a mention (just 0.005%). That’s what most people will say. Murugiah said that’s a montly average, but the article did not mention how long the period of calculation. If it was a year, then its 720 per year which takes it to 0.06%, still a very very small number.  However, bearing in mind that not all of the 1.2 million staff are facing the public, then the percentage can increase.  And as is with statistics of criminal nature, the reported cases may be indication of a bigger number of cases (but hopefully not).

Public complaints against rude and racist civil servants is rising, said Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department T Murugiah.

“The Public Complaints Bureau (PCB) receive over 60 reports monthly on rude and racist civil servants. It can raise anger and used as an issue to cause conflict between political leaders,” he told a press conference in Ipoh today.

He said PCB would not hesitate to recommend that departments and agencies take action including sacking, suspending or disciplining those responsible.

The latest case was reported on Nov 10 where a hospital nurse was said to have uttered racist words at a family.

Murugiah said the issue was made worse with the interference of politicians.

Most of the cases reported involved uniformed personnel like police, hospital and school staff.

from: http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/149526

What can happen when you lose your MyKad

November 24th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


This must be one of the worst cases I’ve read: You are married, in debt, dead and EPF savings cleaned out!

Moral of the story: Ensure you collect your replacement myKad on time, and don’t trust anyone with it.

RECORDS at the National Registra tion Depart ment showed he was married to another woman, his local bank said he could not open an account as he had failed to settle a loan and, worse, the EPF office said his savings had all been withdrawn and he was listed as dead!

These shocking revelations came to S. Kannan of Ayer Tawar in Perak after he lost his identity card and applied for a new one, Tamil Nesanreported.

The problem, he said, was that the NRD office had notified him of his new IC at his former rented premises and not at his current home in Taman Indah Ria.

Kannan suspects that a friend who had previously worked with him might have claimed his IC and used it for his personal reasons.

He said he made a police report at the Ayer Tawar police station in April when he first lost his IC.

17 year old held under Emergency Ordinance

November 19th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


I was surprised to read about the boy being placed under Emergency Ordinance and then under Restricted Residence order. i’m not sure if those aged below 21 can be subjected to these laws or not.

The boy was arrested under suspicion of being involved in ARMED gang theft in schools whereby motorcycles where stolen.

The boy was shifted around few police station and finally sent to Linggi and then Lenggeng.

Now, he’s 18 years old, so is still a minor.

The prosecutors says the reason is to separate him from the “crime mates” so that he can turn a new leaf. I think besides physical separation, need to have further action like counseling, skills training etc., so that the boy can improve himself. Also, I remember reading elsewhere that some of those placed under EO end up expanding their “network” and still continue their criminal activities.

The parents are not well to do, so I’m not sure how they will be able to help him turn a new leaf without support from the state. This where the politicians or government agencies should step in. Need not wait anymore since the case has been highlighted in the media.

If things are left as it is, with no long term solution, I won’t be surprised if the boy ends up in mortuary in few years time (The case where a 16 year old and a 17 year old got shot by retired house owner and police respectively, comes to mind).

The articles from Malaysian Insider and The Star are below.

Teen Jiegandran Panir Selvam who was banished to Negri Sembilan by order of the Home Ministry earlier this year will know if he can go home this December 1.

The Selangor-born who was suspected of being involved in armed gang theft at four schools was arrested by the police last year and later locked up for 60 days under the Emergency Ordinance (EO) while still a minor.

The law is usually reserved for hardcore gangsters.

Jiegandran (picture), who only reached the age of maturity on May 22 this year, was then ordered confined to first Linggi and two months ago, Lenggeng, where he celebrated Deepavali alone.

But the ministry today offered to return the 18-year-old to his parents care.

At the High Court here today, senior federal counsel Najib Zakaria told reporters the Home Ministry has proposed to allow Jiegandran to return home, but will lawfully still be under house arrest for the next two years.

The restricted residence order that forms a part of the EO limits the person’s movement to within a certain radius.

When met in Linggi previously, Jiegandran told The Malaysian Insider he was barred from travelling more than 3km from the district police station, where he was also required to report in person weekly.

“The reason [for the banishment order] was to remove him from the influence of his crime mates, so to speak,” said Najib, after leaving trial judge Datuk Mohd Zawawi Salleh’s chambers.

The government lawyer added the ministry had come up with the idea after noting that both Jiegandran’s parents were poor and were hard put to support their second son living in a different state.

Jiegandran’s father works as a lorry driver while his mother works as a cook in a company canteen.

The teen and his father are challenging the Home Ministry’s use of the EO on him.

Lawyers for Jiegandran had previously asked for the banished boy to be reunited with his family, Najib said.

But Yohendra Nadarajan, who is part of the father-and-son’s legal team, told The Malaysian Insider that they may still fight on even if the ministry agrees to move Jiegandram’s place of restriction to the latter’s hometown in Beranang, Kajang.

“The ball is now in the deputy minister’s court,” said Yohendra, referring to Datuk Wira Abu Seman Yusop who had signed the EO order.

“Even if the deputy minister agrees to vary the restricted [residence] order, the parents may want to fight on for his release,” he added.

Yohendra said they would need to speak with Jiegandra and his parents first before deciding the next step.

A teenager is contending that the Emergency (Public Order and Prevention of Crime) Ordinance 1969 (EO) cannot be applied to detain him as he was a minor when he was arrested for theft.

Senior Federal Counsel Najib Zakaria, however, told reporters yesterday that he was willing to advise the Home Ministry to restrict the boy to his Kajang home.

The boy’s lawyer, Daniel Albert, stated that he would consider the final terms offered by the ministry later in view of the points of law raised in the judicial review application.

The minor, who was then 17, was arrested on Dec 21 last year for alleged theft of a motorcycle.

In the civil action, the teenager and his father, M. Panir Selvam were named as applicants.

The two have named the Deputy Home Minister, Negri Sembilan police chief, Inspector-General of Police and the Malaysian Government as respondents.

In the judicial review application, the applicants stated that the EO cannot be applied to a minor in view of the enactment of the Child Act and the Convention on the Rights of a Child.

They claimed there were significant procedural irregularities that contravened a minor’s fundamental rights under the Federal Cons­titution and the procedural re­­quirements set out under the EO which rendered the minister’s order defective.

In his court papers, the minor stated that he was transferred repeatedly to numerous police stations on the pretext of police investigations being carried out into his alleged involvement in illegal activities.

The applicants were seeking to quash the Deputy Home Minister’s order dated March 11 restricting the residence of the teenager to Linggi in Negri Sembilan made under the EO.

They claimed that subsequently the Deputy Home Minister on Sept 24 ordered that he be restricted to Lenggeng, Negri Sembilan.

Yesterday, High Court (Appellate and Special Powers) judge Justice Mohd Zawawi Salleh set Dec 1 for the minister’s decision on whether to restrict the teenager to his Kajang home.

400,000 members in PKR but how many vote?

November 13th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


I think the plan to have direct elections is backfiring on PKR. So far, about 11,000 members have voted it seems, with more than 1/3 of the 218 branches having held the elections. Just two weeks more left. There’s more than 400,000 members in PKR but not many voting?

If the voter turnout is low (some put it as low s 20%), can it be considered as valid?

One contender pulled out (Zaid) and condemning the other contender and the de-facto leader. Some members resigning, so many complaints being lodged.

If things continue like this, PKR most likely will fold up by next GE.

If PKR close shop or become weak, then PR will fall apart as DAP and PAS stand on opposite poles.

Pity the protestors

November 13th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Just now, I saw TV3 coverage of the protest at PKR HQ organised by Jenapala. I felt pity looking at the (elderly) women folk who seemed uninterested or unaware of what’s going on. Some came with kids. There were some teenagers and youths as well. Majority of the protester seemed to be Indians. There were few banners and protest shouts. Later, the news showed some of them having meal at restaurant. The news said about 200 people came (maybe be including about 20 reporters/photographers). From the video, can see about 50 or so people.

Watch the video taken by Malaysiakini:

Some of the questions seems valid. Many complaints have been lodged but nothing seems to be happening.

Here’s two news articles (one from Star and another from Malaysiakini). You can read and enjoy the discrepancies.

The Star:

A group of protestors gathered at the PKR headquarters in Damansara for 30 minutes calling for the party polls to be stopped.

The protesters, mostly from Rawang also put up banners calling for PKR advisor Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and PKR vice-president Azmin Ali to step down.

The peaceful gathering which started at 11.30am lasted about 30 minutes. The PKR headquarters was closed with only a security guard seen at the entrance.

Organiser of the gathering former PKR deputy secretary-general P. Jenapala said there were many irregularities in the on-going party election and wanted it stopped immediately.

He claimed the party leadership was not being fair and transparent as it had stopped credible people from contesting.

Malaysiakini:

About 100 people with some children in tow turned up in front of the PKR headquarters in Petaling Jaya this morning for a 30-minute ‘protest’ against the ongoing party elections, demanding it to be stopped. 

What’s more almost three quarters of the noisy ‘protestors’ who were ferried to the venue in three buses appeared to have no idea of what was going on. 

Jenapala protest at PKR headquarters crowd on busOrganiser P Jenapala claimed that the party elections has been fraught with irregularities and malpractice, and that the “members present here are very unhappy”.

However, upon being approached by reporters some said that they were not entirely sure what was happening, and neither were they party members.

Kamisah Arippin, 75, said that she had no clue as to what was going on. She had come just for the ride, pointing to the person who had invited her to the 30-minute ‘event’.

Jenapala protest at PKR headquarters crowdHer friends, Kamariah Bapu, 70, and Zaleka Mohd Ashin, 72, also confessed they were not party members and that they only recognised Jenapala through his several TV appearances.

And another lot of around 50 youths looked no older than 19, some of whom later also conceded that they weren’t party members.

Jenapala however insisted that they were all party members and that they were “deeply upset over the party elections”.

“But I don’t deny that some of them may have been paid and planted by our enemies to sabotage my programme,” he said.

‘Anwar must go’ bugle sounds

Jenapala also insisted that party de facto leader Anwar Ibrahim should step down.

“He calls himself a ketua umum when he was not democratically elected by the party members. If he wants to be a leader, then contest. For now, he doesn’t even have the right to lead the party,” he said.

Jenapala protest at PKR headquarters womenJenapala was the party’s deputy secretary-general until he was sacked after it was discovered that he had been declared a bankrupt, a charge that he described as “defamatory”.

“Yes, I was bankrupt in 2001 but that is an old story. They don’t even have records of my sacking and it was improperly done,” he said.

He also insisted that he be allowed to contest the deputy presidency, a post that he is confident of winning.

“Azmin Ali (PKR vice-president and deputy president candidate) knows that he has no fighting chance against me. He knows that he will lose because a majority of PKR members are Indians,” he said.

Jenapala also said that he will be filing an injunction next week to stop the party congress scheduled for Nov 26 and that he will also sue the party secretariat for “defamation”.

Jenapala protest outside PKR headquarters crowdMeanwhile, former Selangor treasurer KS Kottapan repeated former PKR Federal Territories Zaid Ibrahim’s stinging criticism of Anwar on Tuesday.

“If someone as successful as Zaid can say something like that, it has to be true,” said Kottapan.

Before he brought the curtain down on the event, Jenapala went up to the reporters to apologise for the haphazard organisation of the demonstration, promising a better organised sequel, “a massive mega-rally”, next time.

The protesters shouted “Hidup Zaid” a few times before leaving the PKR headquarters.

Interesting