Archive for the ‘BornInMalaysia’ category

Annual event is here again!

May 24th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


The annual event is back! Ye folks, the annual begging appeal for PSD (JPA) scholarship and IPTA places session is on again. MCA and MIC have both set up helpline to ensure their relevantness. So, go ahead and contact them if you feel you have a valid reason to appeal.

This is what MCA says:

MCA Youth will collect the data of last year’s excellent SPM students who failed to get the Public Service Department scholarship.

Its chief Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong said the list of successful applicants was out last Friday but not all excellent students were selected.

“For those who did not receive the scholarship, it must be understood that the number of scholarships are limited to only 1,500.

“All parties, especially parents must understand that not all of those who scored straight As are eligible for the scholarship,” he told reporters after chairing the Johor Baru MCA division meeting here Sunday.

Dr Wee, who is also Deputy Education Minister, said over 7,000 students scored straight As and of the number, about 200 obtained A+ for all subjects.

He said the youth wing would collect the data and analyse it within a week before discussing the matter with party president Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek and other leaders.

“We will then talk to the department. We urge those who want to appeal for the scholarships to submit their details to the wing at youth@mca.org.my,” he said.

MIC says this:

Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk S. K. Devamany has called on the prime minister to intervene in the selection for Public Service Department (PSD) overseas degree scholarship programme.

He said he had received complaints from many students that they were passed over for the scholarship despite achieving excellent results in last year’s SPM examination.

“The Prime Minister (Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak) must interven and give a solution to the unfair and discriminatory award of PSD selection of foreign degree scholarships,” he said in a statement Sunday.

Devamany also urged PSD to review the selection criteria of its scholarship award.

“The PSD has yet to fully understand the meaning of 1Malaysia which the Prime Minister has adopted as the slogan of his administration,” he said.

Devamany, who is also MIC vice-president, said the scholarship must be offered based on meritocracy and to underprivileged students who had achieved excellent academic results.

“This is the national direction. When excellent students who obtain straight As are denied scholarships despite fulfilling more than the minimum criteria, they become frustrated that their hard work and efforts were in vain,” he added.

He urged students who failed in their applications for the overseas scholarship programme to appeal to the PSD.

We been hearing this for last, what, 5 0r 10 years? Do they think we are dumb? Just publish (on website) all the recipients’ name, complete with the parents name, income range and occupation, SPM results, the marks obtained during interview, and the overalls marks that allowed them to get the scholarship. Is that so difficult? Is it a national security stuff? Every year also talk nonsense and waste our time. And this time, pull in 1Malaysia pulak lagi 🙂 Haiyoo..make me want to cry… Hello, for this thing all, no need slogans, just plain common sense will do.

This time, there’s a video by a student that didn’t get place in IPTA :

This girl says more than 90% of her schoolmates in MRSM got places in matriculation and/or IPTA, but she, being one of the top students in her school, didn’t get anything.

So, what’s going to happen? Someone will come as a knight in shining armor and give this girl a place in IPTA? After that, all of us supposed to “ooh” and “aaah” over such gracious acts? We must offer our thanks profusely and pledge eternal loyalty to some groups?? Go get a life.

Note: i’m kind of tired reading about MIC’s internal problem, so won’t be blogging about it any time soon.

15 months for an inquest!

May 22nd, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Won’t you be angry as well if something like this happens to you? I think the culprits should be sacked for gross inefficiency.

So, after this, another 15 months to deliver documents, 15 more months to fix actually start the inquest. I think judge also would have retired by the end of the inquest.

Some of you guys would remember this particular case as it was in the news for few weeks. The police did an operation during night time and shot dead the alleged criminals. It seems the were involved in robbery. Interestingly, one of the deceased is an OKU: L.J. Santana, 36, who was deformed and visually impaired. Maybe he was in the wrong company at the wrong time?

Hindraf did interview of the neighbors and victims’ family. Can find in the internet.

A sister of one of the six men shot dead by police 15 months ago burst into a tirade outside the coroner’s court here where the inquest into the deaths is to be held.

Upset that it took months for the inquest to be called, R. Malarselvi, 45, berated the police, saying that family members had been in distress. She cited her mother V. Visachi, 64, who was seen crying at the court premise.

Malarselvi is the eldest sister of scrap dealer Elango, 31.

Yesterday was the first date for the inquest into the deaths of Elango, scrap worker R. Dilipkumar, 20, L.J. Santana, 36, who was deformed and visually impaired, carpenter S. Kurusamy, 49, contractor R. Pannir Selvam, 28, and crane driver S. Vadivelan, 29. They were killed at Lot 157A Kampung Kemunting in Karangan here at 10.10pm on Feb 17, 2009.

The courtroom was filled with family members and relatives.

Bukit Aman believed that the men were members of a notorious gang said to be responsible for a series of robberies in the northern region. According to police, the suspects had opened fire on them.

When the case was called up at 9.35am yesterday, coroner Shamshol Azwa Martadza proceeded to record the particulars of the parents or wives of the men. DPP Melissa Mohd Akhir, who is assisting the court with DPP Nuraswan Aminuddin, then stood up to say that they were still awaiting the supplementary documents to the pathologist’s reports.

Jagdeep Singh Deo, who is holding a watching brief for the families, assisted by R.S.N. Rayer, said they had yet to be furnished with a set of the documents.

“We need the documents, especially the post-mortem reports,” said Jagdeep.

The court fixed June 3 for mention so that the documents can be served and a hearing date to be fixed. Out-side the courtroom later, Malarselvi made the outburst.Jagdeep told the press that family members had lodged police reports and made numerous requests to the Attorney-General to direct an inquest under Section 339 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

“We are pleased that the inquest was finally fixed for today but, as you can see, the family members are absolutely distraught that it had taken 15 months,” he said.

Malaysia in top 10 competitive country list

May 20th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Another good news for the government!

Malaysia’s competitiveness ranking surged into the top 10 in the world as Asian countries took the first two spots after financial turmoil and an economic crisis saw previous leader, the United States, slipping to third place.

Malaysia’s competitiveness ranking rose to 10th, from 18th a year earlier, as the country benefited from strong demand from Asia as well as implementation of efficient policies, especially government policies, said the latest IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook 2010.

“The quantum leap in Malaysia’s competitiveness ranking marks a strong recognition of investors accorded to the Government’s commitment to reshape the country’s competitive landscape,” said CIMB Investment Bank chief economist Lee Heng Guie.

“This improved ranking bodes well for Malaysia to drive for higher private investments and FDIs.”

IMD said Singapore, ranked as the most competitive economy, and Hong Kong displaced the United States off the perch as the two Asian countries displayed great resilience through the recent economic and financial crisis.

Malaysia, which is now ranked the fifth most competitive country in Asia Pacific, scored highly in business and government efficiency.

The rankings are tabulated based on four main criteria; economic performance, government efficiency, business efficiency and infrastructure.

Economists said the jump in ranking is a reflection of the work the Government has put into improving the country’s overall business and economic climate.

“It also demonstrates the Government’s handling of the global crisis by introducing measures to stabilise the economy,” said Affin Investment Bank economist Alan Tan.

The New Economic Model, the Government Transformation Programme and the Economic Transformation Programme are among the key initiatives that the Government introduced lately to improve the overall business and government environment in the country.

Economists said the improvement in Malaysia’s ranking was also due to the perception investors surveyed had of the country, and the challenge now is to translate the jump in ranking into more investments, both foreign and local.

“Being more competitive is positive for the country. It will have some influence on decision-makers,” said Maybank Investment Bank Bhd head of research Andrew Lee.

“What the Government needs to do is to continue with the Government Transformation Programme and make it known to the outside world that this is happening.”

IMD said for 2010, the challenge for Malaysia was to continuously improve the government delivery system to facilitate business, strengthen the economy through high quality investments, groom small and medium enterprises for global competition, continue to intensify life-long learning and nurture a talented workforce and drive productivity and competitiveness through a creative and innovative mindset.

Lee said that given the more intense and unpredictable environment ahead, policymakers need to quicken the momentum of change to sustain or raise Malaysia’s position ahead of the global competition.

80 percent of Malays in lower income category?

May 19th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


I’m curious to know the source of this statistics. Strangely enough, I didn’t know there’s a “lower income” category. I think there’s high income, middle income, low income, poor, and hard core poor only. And I must admit, looking at the crowd in urban areas, the 20% who are not in “lower-income” groups seems to be a lot. Just go to Shah Alam, Bangi, Putrajaya, KL happening areas.

And I wonder what’s the statistics like for other major communities. Also in the 70-80% bracket? Should be, because we only have small number of tax payers.

I think something is seriously misleading in this statistics and its irresponsible to publish such news without proper source reference.

Malay entrepreneurs must evaluate critically and openly why 80% of Malays were in the lower income category, Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said.

He said they should be introspective and practice self-critism to grow.

“To succeed, we need to be introspective and practise kaizen, which means continuous improvement. Introspection must include the element of self-critism,” he said at the closing ceremony of the Malay Entrepreneurs Convention here Saturday.

He said under the New Economic Model (NEM), the Government wanted to have practises based on merits, needs, transparency and market-friendliness.

“Malays must see the NEM as an opportunity and not a threat. Malays must be less obsessed with processes and procedures compared with output.

“A pragmatic and practical attitude is better than being dogmatic,” he said.

Crime rate drops 15 percent

May 18th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


The Home Ministry announced that crime rate index for the first four months of 2010 has reduced by 15.3% while street crimes dropped 38.7%, compared with same period last year. This is beyond the target for the whole year, so we must congratulate the police for doing their jobs well. I’ve seen more police presence around my housing and commercial/business center areas. Their presence alone helps to create a safe feeling for the residents and public. Just by walking about, being inquisitive, and checking on people they can achieve much.

My only lament is that it should have been done much earlier. One wonders what the police were doing for last few years until crime rate increased yearly.

The Home Ministry’s success in reducing the crime rate index for the first four months has surpassed the initial target set for the first four months, its Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said.

The crime index has been reduced by 15.3% and street crimes dropped by 38.7% over the first four months, compared with the same period last year, he said.

“It was not an easy task considering the upward trend registered from 2006 to 2009. However, we were able to reduce the crime rate beyond the set target,” said Hishammuddin after launching the 1Malaysia logo during the ministry’s monthly assembly here Tuesday.

He added that the success was due to the ministry’s initiative in identifying crime hot spots quickly and efficiently as well as identifying reasons for an increase in crime through the five main principles of the Key Performance Index (KPI) and 55 initiatives drafted through crime labs.

Meanwhile, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Senator Datuk Seri Idris Jala said the results of National Key Results Area (NKRA) for crime were outstanding for the first quarter and what the police and the ministry had done in the first quarter was totally beyond expectations.

For the whole year, we are expecting the crime index, all crime put together, to drop by 5%, but in the first quarter, we have already seen the overall crime index drop by 15%.

“That is higher than the whole year’s target. For street crimes the target was a reduction of 20%, but in the first quarter we have already seen a reduction of 39%. This is a phenomenal reduction in crime rate,” said Idris Jala.

He said the deployment of 14,444 police, 3,160 Rela and Civil Defence Forces (JPAM) at 50 hotspots had enabled the radical reduction.

“We are now moving a step forward by, not only deploying more police and voluntary forces in the streets, we are also installing CCTVs at such spots,” he said.

He added that about 500 CCTVs would be installed by end of this year at all hotspots.

“I’m really pleased with what has been done by the Home Ministry. This is outstanding without a doubt. We must give credit where it’s due,” he said. – Bernama