Archive for the ‘BornInMalaysia’ category

Kg Bukit Pala showdown

June 30th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


As it stands, the residents are pissed off with their ADUN lawyer RSN Rayer. He tried to give some excuse saying he is standing with them or something. They are also accusing the state government of not doing anything, not caring about them, just like the previous government. Lim Guan Eng will be waking up to a protest tomorrow from his own rakyat, who helped his representative to get a place in the state government. He was upset with HINDRAF’s claims, and asked them to protest at federal government level so that the federal government can do something under National Land Code.

HINDRAF is planning a series of protests at DAP offices throughout the country. That speaks something for their impartiality. At least they step on everyone’s toes once in a while. But it remains to be seen if they can get an estimated 10,000 people at KOMTAR this week. Probably less than half of that is my estimate.

Question also arise if the Indians in DAP will stand with HINDRAF or with Penang state government. My guess is party comes first for them. How about those in PKR ? – no news from Manikavasagam, Sivarasa or Gopalakrishnan so far.  MIC  should be having  good time seeing the misery of DAP/PKR, but I’m not sure what they themselves are doing to solve the problem as well. It was their partners who caused all this problem in the first place. Which makes them, what, partners-in-crime? The role of  the previous state government who caused all this headache for current state government should not be forgotten.

Can the state government buy back the land from the people it sold to? Probably not if it the buyers got it over some dubious and nominal fees, thus standing to make a large amount of money. Lim Guan Eng says the figure will be astronomical. if want to buy back And secondly, there may be no laws to compel for such buy-back options or to stop the development of the land. I guess the only way is to discuss with the developer or relocate the whole village to another location.

Anyway, Deputy CM 1 Mansor is doing some firefighting work – trying to talk to the developers, Koperasi Pegawai Kerajaan Pulau Pinang Bhd and Nusmetro Venture.

He said that he would ask the developers to hold on to the vacant possession directive served on the villagers while the state investigates allegations of misuse of power and corruption in the transfer of the land.

“I am confident that the developers will cooperate with the state,” he told a press conference here on Monday.

The residents filed an application today to set aside an ex-parte order dated June 16 obtained by the developers, to issue a writ of possession, which is to be enforced at 11am on July 2. In their application, the residents also applied for the bailiff’s notice, execution and enforcement of the writ to be set aside. In his affidavit, labourer K. Shanmugham said to date he and the other village residents had yet to be served with the Court of Appeal’s order dated May 11. He said the writ of possession was defective as the Koperasi and Nusmetro Venture have failed to obtain any permission from the authorities and the Penang Municipal Council to demolish the houses in the village. The application will be heard on a date yet to be fixed.

A bit of background on the village (from Malaysiakini):

Originally the village was legally gazetted as the Helen Brown housing trust under the Housing Trust Act 1950.
However, in 2005, the land office alienated the land to the state government without dissolving the trust which is a requirement under law.

Penang Island Municipal Council (MPPP) had allegedly given planning approval in 2007 to Umno-linked Nusmetro before the land was legally transferred to the cooperative. This is a breach of the council’s building by-laws.

The land was only transferred on March 27 last year – nine days after Pakatan Rakyat captured Penang in the general election.The land transfer was done by certain land officers without the knowledge of the current government.

How would this turnout? I expect the talks between Mansor and opposition-controlled company to fail. There will be some bloodshed and arrests, and Kampung Buah Pala will cease to exist. After 6 months, we will forget all this and move on. In 2013, the issue will be raised again, but both parties will not be getting any mileage because one caused the problem, and the other failed to keep to its promise to solve the problem.

Delay in conversion law changes

June 29th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


The council of Rulers who met today decided to get the views of state religious councils on the approval of changes to laws involved in conversion before making a decision. The Sultans are head of the religion in the states, so probably they want to discuss at state level first before putting it in front of the Council of Rulers.

The laws in question are Law Reform (Marriage and Divorce) Act 1976, Administration of Islamic Law (Federal Territories) Act 1993 and Islamic Family Law (Federal Territories) Act 1984. The amendments are postponed now until its cleared at both levels before brought into parliament.

Bukit Pala resident asks ADUN to resign?

June 28th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Anil Netto reports that:

High Chaparral villagers hold protest outside Adun Rayer s and call for his resignation. They now want to meet the CM on Monday.

If the state government comes out with any sort of excuse, its a black mark for them since can’t fulfill election promise. 26 days left for some action. I’m wondering what is the response from MMSP, Penang Hindraf, and also other NGOs.

I agree with the comments by ex-Deputy Chief Minister of Penang on this issue. Its been more than a year and still no solution in sight. If they can’t solve the problem, they should have told the residents.

Also, NST reported the following:

On the Kampung Lorong Buah Pala issue, Dr Hilmi said the previous administration had discussed with the land owner and developer to help the 31 affected families then.

Meanwhile, the NST learnt that 11 of the 31 families had since taken up the offer made by the previous administration. Those who opted for cash were given between RM180,000 and RM200,000 for each family and have since moved out. Those who opted for houses, were given a RM10,000 start-up and a three-year rental prior to the completion of their new houses.

That means the balance 20 families did not accept the offers.  By some family accepting the offers, it weakens the case for the residents.

Rulers Council to discuss law amendments on conversion

June 28th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Remember the controversial cabinet directive on child conversion? Well, the latest news is that the amendments will be discussed in the Rulers’ Council meeting on Monday. Funny thing is, I never read anything in the papers about the proposed changes. Will it be made public at any stage before being brought to parliament?

Amendments to laws to accommodate the cabinet’s decision on conversion to Islam will be discussed by the Rulers’ Council on Monday.

The proposed changes, once endorsed by the council and passed by Parliament, will put to rest some of the issues relating to controversial conversions.

The three laws involved are the Law Reform (Marriage and Divorce) Act 1976, Islamic Family (Federal Territories) Law 1984 and Administration of Islam (Federal Territories) Islamic Law 1993. Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Maj-Gen (rtd) Datuk Jamil Khir Baharom said any amendments would have to be endorsed by the council first before they were tabled in Parliament.

The government has formed a five-man committee on conversion, although moves to introduce the changes started in 2007.

Apart from Jamil Khir, other ministers entrusted to look into the issue are Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz, Senator Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon, Human Resources Minister Datuk Dr S. Subramaniam and Women, Family and Community Development Minister Senator Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil.

By the way, did Indira get her baby?

New category of PSD scholarships next year

June 28th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


From The Star:

A new category will be established starting next year for scholarships under the Public Services Department scheme to be awarded purely based on merit, regardless of race.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun razak said he was sure that such a category would be welcomed by all communities, including the Chinese.

“We are re-studying the distribution of scholarships under the Public Services Department scheme to introduce a new category.

“Starting next year, we will see the distribution of scholarships based purely on merit, regardless of race.

“We will announce it next year and with the plan to limit to 10 subjects, we expect to see a more level playing field,” he said in his speech at a dinner organised by both MCA and the Associated Chinese Chamber of Industry and Commerce here Saturday.

Najib said this would allow Malaysia’s best students to get aid to pursue higher studies.

“So we will get the best of best and the creme de la creme getting aid for higher studies.

“I believe this will be accepted well and it will allow each individual a fair chance to realise his full potential,” he said, adding however that he was not “letting the cat out of the bag” just yet on the scheme.

Well, need to wait for the cat to be let out. At the moment, can only speculate.