Archive for the ‘BornInMalaysia’ category

Gerakan thought of leaving BN

September 29th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


After weeks of vague answers, yesterday the acting president, Koh Tsu Koon said that there were 3 options for Gerakan:

1. Quit BN and join the opposition (this would have made everyone’s hair stand!)
2. Quit BN and remain independent (oh..where’s the joy in that? unless you enjoy flirting and milking the most out of the situation)
3. Remain in BN (what an anti-climax!)

No guesses which one was chosen. Even though Koh said:

“We are not ruling out any possibility at this moment. We have to assess the situation, but we are not closing any doors.

“Neither are we saying we will definitely leave. It’s something we need to assess but we cannot do it based on sentiments alone,” he told reporters after launching the KL-Federal Territory (FT) state delegates conference here on Sunday.

Dr Koh said the party was examining how the political scenario in the country would continue to change, and had been getting feedback from the grassroots.

“If you go on sentiments alone, I would say more than 60% (want us to leave), but we are taking a lot of factors into consideration, and a decision cannot be based just on sentiments.

“It’s a very trying time, and there is need for a lot of rational, objective analysis. It cannot be a straightforward simplistic decision,” he said.

Its unlikely that Gerakan will pull out, unless of course another incident like the Ahmad Ismail case is engineered by interested parties to get Gerakan out of BN, and maybe join Pakatan Rakyat.

60% ??? In our country, that’s called the majority.

Why are 20,000 Indians still without identification?

September 29th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


It’s good to read that MIC secretary-general, Datuk Dr S. Subramaniam admitting that there are still about 20,000 Indians throughout the country without birth certificates or MyKad. This is a smaller number than the 80,000 or 30,000 bandied about earlier. He says MIC was currently resolving several hundred cases involving Indians who were in the process of obtaining their identification documents.

“This situation arises mainly because a majority of them were born in villages often located in estates. Their deliveries were handled by midwives, many of whom have since passed away, making it difficult for us to get any record of their birth.

“In some cases, newborns were sometimes given up for adoption by their poor parents,” he said .

He said at present, the NRD would require an individual to show proof that he or she was born in Malaysia by producing a letter from the hospital or clinic where they were born. “This is where the problem lies. Many of those born in estates don’t have any documentation. This fault lies with the parents who should be more responsible in registering the births of their children.

“However, the MIC will work closely with the Home Ministry to assist as many Indians as we can to get them the relevant documents,” he said.

Dr Subramaniam was referring to a recent New Straits Times report which highlighted the plight of R. Ragu who was told by the National Registration Department (NRD) in Putrajaya to get a letter from Sultan Azlan Shah to enable him to obtain a permanent identification document.

Ragu only had a birth certificate bearing his father’s name and place of birth as proof of his citizenship.

“This is the kind of cases we are talking about. We do not want to see any child deprived of their right to a sound education due to the lack of proper birth papers and will continue doing our part to assist them in every way,” he added.

So, Dr S.Subra is saying that more cases are happening because the NRD had introduced an additional rule. Therein lies the problem. At cabinet meetings or ministerial talks in the last 2 to 3 years, surely this new rule of NRD would have been highlighted by the MIC representatives. Or weren’t they? Don’t tell me only now MIC know about this.

He easily blames the parents (who are of course partly to be blamed – together with estate management, MIC, Health Ministry, NRD, and NGOs). While parents are at fault, it is also alarming to realise that this problem had been there all this while. If in a year, MIC can help to solve 100 cases, in the past 30 years, that would be just 3000 cases. Let’s put it at 500 cases per year, meaning 15,000 cases solved in last 30 years. So, how many people were without IC before this?

The action to get people their documentation should go hand in hand with education and awareness campaign.Were the campaigns ineffective? Were such campaigns in place at all? For a party that boasts of the most number of Indians, (was it 500,000 members?) it seems to be an disaster that this problem was not solved or reduced dramatically. Whose fault is it – members, grassroot leaders, or the leaders themselves? How about the media? How many times did we ever hear any campaign to get your children registered or advertisement on the importance of identity documents? Can the readers recall? I can only remember THR’s ad that appeared in the last few months. Do we see any ads inserted in newspapers or TV airtimes? How about putting ad during movies in cinema that says “GET YOUR MYKAD TODAY!” or something like that?

Finally, action + awareness is meaningless without the infrastructure or system. What measures were taken to bring the government to the public instead of blaming the public? Did NRD provide mobile registration counters? Were there “turun padang” exercises to visit estates and other remote areas or were this places conveniently ignored? Are they Tamil speaking officers attached to the department offices to help this rural folks?

If some folks in Sabah can get instant MyKad as alleged by various quarters, why not these 20,000 people? Need to grease some palms or due to lack of economic and political value?

In short, years of inaction, improper strategy/planning, “tidak apa” attitude, and lack of willpower and persuasion (and perhaps respect) at the top level are coming back to bite us in the posterior.

Well done!

UPDATE: NRD’s director-general Datuk Mohd Abdul Halim Muhamad response is below:

The National Registration Department (NRD) will go on a nationwide search to register “stateless” persons, as well as look into the plight of odd-job worker R. Ragu.

“I will follow the order of the minister to go to certain areas in all the states to help the stateless people,” said NRD.

On Thursday, Home Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar told the department to check the situation of stateless people and give them identity cards.

When asked about Perak Sultan Azlan Shah’s call to NRD to issue a temporary identity card to Ragu, Abdul Halim said that he would follow the minister’s directive.

Murugiah’s PCB is above all ministries

September 26th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Deputy Minister Murugiah who was criticised by Home Minister Syed Hamid over the Teresa Kok food in lockup incident, replied back saying that he was only doing his job (attending to the people’s complaints and solving problems) when he made his statements. He even cleared it with his boss, Bernard Dompok.

“His statement asking me not to interfere in other people’s affairs is simply asking me and the 270 staff in the Public Complaints Bureau to close shop,”

“Between January and August the bureau received about 180 complaints on each ministry. How can I do my job if I can’t interfere in another ministry? The Public Complaints Bureau is above all ministries when it comes to handling complaints.”

From NST:

“As a junior (deputy) minister and head of the Complaints Bureau, I am receptive to criticism, but investigating complaints, even from the opposition, is one of my responsibilities.”

He said the government could not afford to practise double standards and that Kok’s allegations of being served food that she compared to dog food, had tarnished the image of the country.

“It was not an arbitrary decision on my part, although I did initiate the move.”

“Syed Hamid’s criticisms are not justified because probing public complaints is my job and my obligations are to the public while being accountable to the prime minister.”

Murugiah said Syed Hamid should talk to him directly instead of making comments publicly.

“I’m trying to do something good for the general public, treating everyone fairly regardless of whether they are from the Government, the Opposition or members of the public,” he said.
“As a junior minister, I will always accept with an open heart guidance from (Syed Hamid), and if he would like to show me the best way to do my job.”

So, will Syed Hamid show the way? His ministry is already under attack from nearly everyone over the misuse of ISA. Now, another headache for him.

demolishment of temple in Ampang

September 26th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


According to Waytha, this was one of the temples that sparked HINDRAF into action. This particular Kaliamman temple in Kampung Tasik, Jalan Baru in Ampang was tried to be demolished a few times, and on 9th Sptember 2008 (two weeks ago), MPAJ officials demolished most of the temple. After that, I remember reading Selangor EXCO (can’t remember who) saying that the state government viewed this seriously and action will be taken against the officers because never consult with the councillors/committee/EXCO first.

Then, we have the following action from MIC:

Samy Vellu condemns the demolishment and took a swipe at the state goverment because it failed to uphold its promise not to demolish any temples. He said the state should have ordered the local council not to demolish it.

Well, I think the local council did not heed the state government ruling. So, we expect to see some heads to roll. Pakatan leaders must talk their words and get rid of such troublemakers in the local council. Having said that, let’s count how many officials were reprimanded or disciplined while MIC was in power via BN prior to this. Anyone with any figures?

Obviously its careless and an injustice to remove demolish the temple without relocating it first. so, stiff punishment is expected.

A very “fast” action from MIC is that after reading in the papers about the demolishment which happened two weeks ago, its Selangor Youth Chief went to make a police report. They are able to take action after two weeks, which is relatively fast, though not as fast as the old opposition. Looks like the opposition party MIC must be a bit more faster in the future and get news from the grassroots immediately.

While Samy is blaming the state goverment over the actions of the local council, I think this shows the lack of authority and cooperation between this two entities. Local councils come under the Housing and Local Government Ministry. If a new state government faces such disobedience from local council, just imagine what respect MIC got in the last decade from these councils. I guess DBKL, MPAJ etc. don’t even give face to MIC leaders, that’s why we had many cases of temple demolishment. So, we can say that MIC is powerless to stop this problem and its not their fault? And now when the new party takes over, same problem. So who is to blame? the local council, the state government or the federal government?

I remember the Selangor state government saying that no more places of worships will be demolished, and establishment of some committees (just like BN style). the EXCO in charge of local government, Ronnie Liu says:

Ronnie Liu, who is chairman of the state’s local government, study and research committee, said the state had issued a directive to all local councils to halt action against places of worship when it came into power but the officers defied the order.

He said that in taking the action last month the officers also bypassed the committee on non-Muslim affairs headed by state executive councillors Teresa Kok, Dr Xavier Jayakumar and himself.

“I contacted the council president a day after the incident and asked him to investigate the matter and identify those involved,” he said.

“I was told that he has submitted a preliminary report to my office but I have not read it since I am away in China now so it would be unfair for me to comment further.”

Liu had said a day after the incident that he was upset with the council officers’ actions and threatened that they would face stiff action.

A day after the incident. Not two weeks.

Get letter from Sultan to obtain MyKad

September 25th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Yup, your Sultan can issue a supporting letter to help you obtain your MyKad. This was told by a Home Ministry staff in Putrajaya to Ragu, a father of three with a sickly wife, who is without a permanent identification document.

His story is as follows:

He said his problem started when he was abandoned by his parents at the age of 4 in Parit Buntar.

The police found him by the roadside and handed him to the Social Welfare Department, where he was cared for until he was 16 years old.

“Ten years ago, the department helped me to get a birth certificate in which ‘Rajamani’ was stated as my father’s name and Bagan Serai, Perak, was listed as my place of birth,” he said, adding that he did not know the real name of his parents or where he was actually born.

With the birth certificate, he was able to obtain a temporary identification document which had to be renewed every year.

However, in 2004, the National Registration Department declined to renew his temporary document.

After visiting the NRD headquarters in Putrajaya many times in the last four years, he received a letter from the Home Ministry in July which stated that his temporary identification document could not be renewed due to the government’s instruction.

“The Home Ministry staff in Putrajaya told me to obtain a letter from the Sultan of Perak to support my application for a permanent MyKad because according to my birth certificate, I was born in Perak.

“I have sought the help of many senior politicians but no one could help me. I will wait for the Sultan.”

I’m not sure which section or rule did the staff refer to, but I’m pretty sure Sultans don’t go around issuing letters. You have to get supporting documents from village head, district officer, local chieftain etc. to prove your birth was in that area.

Ragu was met at Perak ADUN Sivanesan’s office.

…reporters had earlier asked him why he was at Sivanesan’s office with his wife and children.

“The Sultan is my last resort.

Sivanesan, who met Ragu and his family yesterday evening, said that he would take Ragu to the Perak NRD to help him apply for a MyKad.

Asked where he planned to stay until he could see Sultan Azlan Shah, he said he and his family would sleep in their car and shower at petrol stations.

“My family and I have put up with a lot of difficulties over the years… what is a few more days of hardship?”

.