Archive for the ‘BornInMalaysia’ category

Penang open tender system a farce?

May 4th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


So says the opposition leader Azhar Ibrahim. According to him, there were negotiations involved with the chosen tenderer. Price is not the only criteria, and I guess choosing the 5th least expensive bid can be validated is the value of service is “value for money”. No point choosing the cheapest if the service/product is below acceptable levels. Also, it depends on other criteria set in the evaluation procedure, such as company background, experience in similar projects, employee experience, certifications obtained etc. Anyway, Lim Guan Eng is expected to clarify about the accusation during his speech later.

Same goes for the award of contract to a company whom parent company is claimed to be in the red, to manage the BJCC. Yeah, its the parent company, but I still think its not a good idea as it gives the wrong impression.

Penang Opposition Leader Azhar Ibrahim has slammed the state government for misleading the public about its open-tender system, which at times turn into negotiated tenders.

While debating the governor’s speech during the state assembly sitting today, Azhar (BN-Penaga) claimed that prices tendered by contractors bidding for projects were altered after several negotiations had taken place with officials. 

Citing an example, Azhar claimed that a company that was provided the fifth least expensive bid was chosen after negotiations, instead of the cheapest bidder. 

“Negotiations, negotiations, negotiations… what kind of open-tender system is this? They (the state) only say it is an open-tender system, but during the selection process, it becomes a closed tender,” he said.

In 2008, Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said the open-tender system applies to projects exceeding RM50,000, while for projects between RM20,000 and RM50,000, a balloting system will be introduced.

BJCC management

Azhar also touched on the controversy surrounding the state decision to award troubled Japanese company Taiyo Resort (KL) Bhd the contract to run the Bukit Jambul Country Club (BJCC).

He said that checks have revealed that the company was in the red last year. 

“So what happened to all the negotiations? This company’s financial situation seems to be very bad and yet it was chosen by the state to run BJCC,” he said in his speech. 

The matter had been raised yesterday by Gerakan political caucus secretary Mark Ooi, who pointed out that the parent company Taiyo Resort Development (M) Sdn Bhd is in financial difficulties. 

Ooi said that financial documents showed that the company’s current liabilities amounted to RM114,227,770 while losses after tax amounted to RM19,587,956.

The selection of a company to run the BJCC has been clouded with controversy for months, sparked by Bayan Baru MP Zahrain Hashim’s insistence that the contract be given to another company. 

Zahrain made the recommendation when he was chairperson of Island Golf Properties Bhd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Penang Development Corporation, the state investment arm.

Interview with head of inter faith panel

May 4th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


The interview by Malaysian Insider via email is below. The last line is quite interesting.

KUALA LUMPUR, May 4 — Inter-faith dialogue in Malaysia has for years ended in a shallow cul-de-sac, until last month, when the Najib administration set up a Cabinet committee to firmly address growing religious conflicts.

The inclusion of senior bureaucrats from the powerful Department of Islamic Development (Jakim) and the influential national Institute of Islamic Understanding (Ikim) together with elected leaders of the various religions from the Malaysian Consultative Council for Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism and Taoism (MCCBCHST) showed the government was serious in dealing with the long-standing conflicts.

But little is known about the workings of this committee, and less still about its handpicked coordinator, Datuk Ilani Isahak, which has inadvertently put the fledgling committee in limbo.

The only known facts are that she had been an MP for Kota Bharu and is now a member of the National Unity and Integration Department (NUID) reporting to its minister Tan Sri Koh Tsu Koon and has been keeping very late hours these past few days.

The mystery woman recently agreed to an e-mail interview with The Malaysian Insider, which is as follows.

Q: What are you expected to do as coordinator to this special committee on inter-religious understanding and harmony?

A: My role is to facilitate the members from the various religions to achieve the objectives of the Committee as set out in its Terms of Reference. I would also ensure discussions are held in a conducive environment where everyone is respectful of each other. I also foresee playing an active role to encourage friendship between members which requires social interaction and activities outside meetings and formal events.

Q: What targets have you set for yourself so far?

A: I would like to see the working committees set up getting down to work before the Committee meets again in June. Although I am not setting any time frame to achieve certain outcomes yet I would be monitoring the momentum to ensure smooth progress .

Q: Tell us more about yourself. Why do you think you were picked by Cabinet for this role?

A: I believe my experience in chairing the Working Committee on Inter-Religious Relations set up under the National Unity Advisory Panel in 2004 – 2008. Whilst in that capacity I had worked hard at establishing good relationship with several leaders from various religions. Perhaps my track record for reliability and delivery. My background includes being a senior lawyer, an ex-vice president of Malaysian Youth Council (a multi-cultural and multi-religious orgaisation), ex-Member of Parliament of Kota Bharu which has a multi-ethnic and multi-religious population and I studied comparative religion whilst doing my Diploma in Islamic Studies.

Q: What was your immediate response when you found out you were chosen?

A: Certainly, I was very pleased to once again be given the privilege and honour to serve the nation in the challenging field of inter-religious relations. I was also happy to continue and strive to complete the unfinished work. The previous Committee succeeded in initiating the process of interactions between leaders of various faiths and enhanced their willingness to work together. Although several closed-door dialogues were held yet they had not been able to progress to problem-solving mode due to time constraint as their work had to stop abruptly when the Committee’s mandate expired on December 31, 2008 and there was no renewal in 2009.

Q: What challenges are you bracing yourself to face?

A: The challenges include getting the leaders of the various religions to focus on getting our job done and not be sidetracked by extraneous issues. I also anticipate having to be very patient and allow for a cooling time whenever situations arise which lead to some members feeling aggrieved.

Q: Issues on religion are thorny. How do you plan to deal with them?

A: “When there is a will, there is a way”, so the saying goes, and I believe nothing is impossible. Religious issues require sensitive handling and a sincere commitment on the part of all members to find solutions mutually acceptable to them. The Committee has set up several Working Committees to handle a variety of matters and issues which approach allow for a greater number of experts to be involved and make possible for a speedier resolution.

Q: So far, how have the religious representatives responded to you?

A: Their responses have been motivating. They are truly sincere and I am optimistic we will be able to achieve our agreed objectives.

Q: In the past, there have been all kinds of objections from various religious groups just to sitting down together to talk about dealing with the problems affecting members of their communities. What do you think has changed to finally move the religious representatives to sit down at the same table?

A: Based on my past experience from 2004 – 2008, when they perceive there is mutual respect the religious representatives would readily cooperate to solve problems together .

Q: Malay rights group Perkasa has raised the gender issue as well when it questioned your qualifications to chair the committee, despite your appointment by Cabinet. They seem to imply that heading the committee is a man’s job. How do you feel about that?

A: The role of the chairperson in the Committee is to facilitate and does not involve making Islamic pronouncement. So their objection is untenable as the chair’s gender should not be an issue. The only major consideration ought to be the capabilities of the person to handle sensitive situations being part and parcel of inter religious work as well as secure the respect and cooperation of the members.

Q: How are you coping with the knee-jerk reactions from the various factions pitting the Muslim group against the non-Muslim group? The MCCBCHST has vowed to boycott talks with their Muslim counterparts following the DPM’s tactless remark and Perkasa and the Perak Fatwa Council have strongly objected to and rejected the validity of this Cabinet committee. Do you still have confidence in promoting any understanding among Malaysia’s diverse religions at this point?

A: I have great faith in MCCBCHST’s appreciation that the work of the Committee would largely benefit them and that the earlier we get down to work the quicker they get to enjoy the desired outcomes.

Which RM130 million is it for Tamil schools?

May 3rd, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


This is an interesting news release by Bernama. There’s no mention of when the allocation was approved or whether its an repeat news. As we know, the previous allocation were insufficient due to increase in construction material costs.  Its this kind of half-baked news that cause people to question or look down on the authorities.  I guess we are expected to be thankful/grateful/be-a-fool for this allocation (average of RM1.625 million per school) . Maybe should sing praises and kowtow as well, is it?

KUALA LUMPUR, May 1 — The government has allocated RM130 million to repair and upgrade 80 Tamil schools nationwide, Deputy Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing Minister Datuk M. Saravanan said.

He said the projects were in various stages of implementation and expected to be completed within two years.

“I believe that with the allocation, infrastructure problems faced by Tamil schools can be overcome,” he told reporters after opening the SRJK (T) Jalan Fletcher’s sports carnival here today.

Saravanan, a former student of the school, said there were 15 Tamil schools in Kuala Lumpur and except for one, which is under a church management in Sentul, there was no problem channelling assistance to the other schools.

He said Tamil schools needed the government’s assistance especially in providing the infrastructure to ensure a conducive teaching and learning atmosphere in line with the vision to create quality human capital.

Saravanan said he was confident that under the leadership of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, there would be changes to 523 Tamil schools in the country. — Bernama

next Penang CM no more Chinese?

April 29th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


I think Lim Guan Eng and Gerakan would be very worried with this news 🙂

THE Chinese no longer make up the majority in Penang, having been overtaken by the Malay community, reported Nanyang Siang Pau.

The daily quoted Penang Statistics Department director Wan Mohamad Noor Wan Mahmood as saying that there were 18,000 more Malays this year compared to the number of Chinese.

The population in the state is expected to reach 1.6 million, he added.

“There are around 650,000 Chinese in Penang, making up about 43% of the total population in 2005. This is expected to drop to 40.9% this year.

“For the Malays, their numbers will increase to over 670,000, up from 41.3% of the total population to 42%,” he said.

The daily said the change in the racial make-up would translate in a drop in the number of Chinese voters in the state.

“There are 40 state seats in Penang, 16 of which are in mixed race constituencies, 14 in Chinese majority areas and 10 in Malay areas.

“This shows that no single political party can rely on one particular race to gain power in the state.

“Thus, Chinese-based parties like the DAP, which lack a symbolic Malay leader, will face a disadvantage in the next general election,” it said.

The daily also speculated that the new statistics might result in another round of controversy surrounding the post of Chief Minister, which is currently held by DAP’s Lim Guan Eng.

Who should repent?

April 29th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


To repent means you have you committed a crime or a sin, and realised it. I wonder, what crime did the Chinese community commit until some hooligans try to behave in a holier-than-thou manner in asking them to repent? Who are you to ask someone to repent? These people are not of your religion nor culture, so what right do you have to interfere? Why not just worry about your kind(the ones with supremacist ideas who think they are God’s children on earth and others are third class citizens). Will save us a lot of time and energy.

To top it off, we have our ex-PM supporting them. Can’t believe this!

I think people who try to entice  folks with money and kind are the ones who should repent. You should have helped before, when the first cry for help was heard. Not when you expect something in return.