Archive for the ‘BornInMalaysia’ category

Where’s the report, ask parents

January 7th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


I was just thinking about the Kampar bridge disaster two days ago (its new school term, and my mind just went to the families that lost their children)  and look at what appears in today’s news. So, what has been done so far? I know Perak state government had the contractor blacklisted. The outcome of  the investigation was announced, but I don’t remember the report being released. Teachers given counseling (parents and students?).  The parents started a law suit. Other than that?

The parents of the three drowned schoolchildren from the Kuala Dipang collapsed bridge tragedy late last year wants the Education Ministry to publicise its report on its investigations.

Former Perak Speaker V. Sivakumar said the three parents were hell-bent on pursuing the matter and wanted the findings to be made known to them.

”If there is nothing to hide, why keep it (the findings) a secret?” he told reporters during a press conference here on Thursday.

”The Government should tell the parents and the public what went wrong and punish those responsible for the tragedy,” said Sivakumar, also the Tronoh assemblyman who led the Pakatan Rakat ad hoc investigation committee into the matter.

”The matter should not be put aside as it has not been resolved yet,” he added.

Sivakumar said no action has been taken against those responsible for approving the contruction of the bridge since the Education Ministry completed their investigations last year.

”They already know the cause for the collapse of the bridge and also identified all the parties involved,” he said.

”Only the contractor who built the bridge has been made the scapegoat,” he claimed.

He noted that Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abd Kadir had blacklisted the contractor and said he would not be awarded any more contracts.

Another battle that goes to court

January 6th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


While most Malaysian are focused on the case between Herald and Home Ministry, another dispute is taking place, this one being between employer and employee. Hopefully the employees get a good deal.

The dispute over wages and terms and conditions of employment between the Malayan Agriculture Association and National Union of Plantation Workers will be decided in court.
This followed the collapse of their 2008-2011 collective agreement negotiation last year.

Union executive secretary A. Navamukundan said the matter was conciliated by the director-general of the Industrial Relations Department and the Human Resources Minister, but a settlement was not possible.

“The Minister then referred the matter to the Industrial Court,” he said.

Hearing on the dispute was fixed for two days since yesterday. A. Ramadas is appearing for the association while Ragunath Kesavan is representing the union.

Industrial Court chairman Amelia Tee Hong Geok Abdullah and two panel members last month went on a field visit to the West Estate in Carey Island, Klang.

The collective agreement will decide the benefits of 75,000 plantation workers nationwide like palm oil mill workers, supervisors and loaders.

The union, in its proposal, is seeking reforms in the payment system and a quantum of increase that reflected a “living wage” that the government is promoting.

The association, meanwhile, said its salary adjustment and other benefits were based on prevailing economic conditions.

If it was not a church but…

January 5th, 2010
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


I couldn’t help but wonder, if this was not a church/tokong/temple/gurdwara but you-know-what, would the outcome be different? Maybe the land would have been gazetted, allocations provided, and grand officiating ceremony performed. Hmm…

Temerloh High Court Tuesday dismissed the application by two orang asli who sought a judicial review of the decision by a local district and land office which had cut off water and electricity supply to a multi-purpose building that was also used as a place of worship by 70 Jahut Christians in Kampung Pasu.

Judicial Commissioner Justice Akhtar Tahir said that the decision to cut the water and electricity supply was proper because the building was illegally erected.

He added that under Section 6 and 7 of the Aborigines Act, the state authority was empowered to gazette an area as orang asli reserve land.

“However, in this case, the land or area is not gazetted for the orang asli and as such, the application is dismissed.

”The decision made by the Temerloh District Land Administrator is proper,” Justice Akhtar said.

The judicial review was initiatied by father and son, Wet Ket, 59, and Yaman Wet, 33, who named Temerloh district and land office and Pahang government as respondents.

They filed the application in December 2007.

Senior federal counsel Kamal Azira Hassan represented the respondents while counsel Annou Xavier and Kenny Ng appeared on behalf of Wet and Yaman.

The applicants were accompanied by 10 people in the court here Tuesday.

In July 2003, the applicants erected the building, which was also used as a church by the Jahut Christians.

They, however, received a notice by the district office at the end of July stating that the building was illegally built on government land.

In Dec 2006, Wet and Yaman lodged a police report and complained to the Government and following some negotiations, they were given a compensation of RM35,000 to rebuild the place.

Their application for water and electricity was, however, rejected by the Temerloh district and land office on the grounds that it was erected on an ungazetted land while the building was constructed without the approval from the authorities.

Deputy FT Minister clarifies on Sentul issue

December 30th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


If yesterday we read about YTL’s explanation, today we have a look at Deputy FT Minister Saravanan’s views:

THE Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing Ministry has asked the developer, YTL Land & Development Berhad, to honour their promise to build low- and medium- cost homes for the poor in Sentul.

Its deputy minister, Datuk M. Saravanan, said when the negotiations was done years ago between Sentul Raya Sdn Bhd and Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad (KTMB) for the development of Kampung Railway, Sentul Raya had committed to build the low-cost houses for the residents.

“This agreement was done during the then Deputy National Unity and Social Development Minister Datuk Alex Lee’s time. We have a written confirmation on this (agreement),’’ Saravanan said.

“When YTL took over Sentul Raya, they confirmed that it would be their top priority to build these homes. Now they are refusing to honour their agreement,’’ he said.

Saravanan said he was disappointed with the developer’s reasoning that they were not responsible because the agreement was made with another company (Sentul Raya) and that YTL only took over in 1997.

“When you take over assets, you also take over the liabilities. As a developer you also have a corporate social responsibility to the community and not just be profit-driven,’’ Saravanan said.

Some 50 people, comprising Batu MIC division members and squatters from Kampung Railway in Sentul, staged a protest at the YTL building in Jalan Bukit Bintang in Kuala Lumpur on Monday over claims that low- and medium-cost flats were not being built as promised.

The group demanded for the promise based on an agreement in 1994 be fulfilled.

They held placards and marched for a short stretch along the street before crowding in front of the YTL building entrance waiting to hand over the memorandum to a management representative.

Kuala Lumpur City Hall Advisory Board member C. Ramanathan said DBKL had even issued a letter confirming the 1994 agreement and re-affirming the proposal to build the low-cost units.

“The letter basically says that they (DBKL) are still waiting for the developer to put in the development proposal,’’ Ramanathan said.

Ramanathan, who holds the housing and squatter relocation portfolio in the DBKL board, said the area was now developed with many high-end apartments.

“What about the poor people who have been living here since the beginning. What about their plight?’’ he asked.

Kampung Railway resident S. Siva said he was appalled by the manner how the residents were being side-lined by the developer.

We are not squatters. We have been paying quit rent since the 1940s up until 1991. Till today we are paying the assessment fees and bills like Indah Water,’’ he said.

The residents are being asked to relocate to Puchong — which will cripple them financially since most of them are very poor.

According to the 1994 agreement, Sentul Raya Sdn Bhd (under YTL) was to build 3,000 low- and medium-cost flats and two multi-purpose halls and a football field.

But so far, nothing has materialised.

See how is it to be labelled as squatters?  Last time, the community was driven out from estates to urban resettlement or left on their own. Now the vicious cycle continues in urban areas. Where else to run to?

Can nurse or medical assistant give out medicine?

December 29th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Amidst MMC’s claim that the 1Malaysia clinics are illegal, the Health minister says this:

“Health Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai had said all the 1Malaysia clinics would open daily and be manned by a nurse and a medical assistant.

He said they were allowed to give medicine to patients for minor ailments like fever and cough but would refer more serious cases to clinics or hospitals.

So, is this acceptable or still illegal in the eyes of the law? Any qualified people can clarify?

The public are quite happy with the idea of 1Malaysia clinic because they can access easily and with less cost.