Archive for the ‘BornInMalaysia’ category

YTL clarifies

December 29th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Following the protests by the residents in Sentul over the missing low-cost houses, YTL provides some clarification:

According to a representative of YTL Land & Development Berhad, the only agreement made was with Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad (KTMB) for the development of Kampung Railway.

The representative said the company had been wrongly vindicated in this matter as Sentul Raya Sdn Bhd in 1994 was under another parent company and that YTL only took over later in 1997.

“It has nothing to do with YTL as our joint venture agreement is only with KTMB, whereby Kampung Railway will comprise a series of medium-cost apartments to be constructed on Sentul Lot PT16 for the purpose of housing KTMB employees and their immediate families.

“The identified site for this project, unfortunately, has been occupied by squatters and their reluctance to move has delayed the commencement of construction for a considerable time,” said the representative, adding that this meant the memorandum handing-over was also directed to a wrong party.

In a press statement issued, it is said some 41 families have already moved out of their squatter homes; with 22 of the 41 relocated to PPR Kg Muhibbah Puchong while the other 19 found homes of their own.

As for this current group of 18 families, a court case was ongoing and no date has been fixed for the next mention.

“We have taken numerous measures to look into the welfare and interest of the affected families, like dialogues and briefings, extending moving-out deadline, assisting the families with new low-cost homes via liaising with the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL).

“We will still offer relocation compensation and assist with the new accommodation, although it is in the hands of the DBKL to decide on the location,” said the representative.

Some residents say they did not know what they signed, while others saying moving to Puchong is too far and incur very high costs.

Meanwhile, this is the predicament of the Kampung Railway residents:

RESIDENTS of Kampung Railway in Sentul suspect that the low-cost flats promised them were scrapped due to the possibility of a hypermarket taking shape in the area.

The residents recently won a year-long legal battle against the developers and Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB).

The original residents of the village were former employees of KTMB and many of the current residents are their descendants. According to them, they had been promised low-cost flats but, till today, had heard nothing further.

Last year, they were served with eviction notices, citing plans for a railway village for KTMB employees.

They began their legal battle in December, 2008, when Batu MP Tian Chua helped them file the suit. On April 29, this year the court had ruled in their favour.

“The court acknowledged that the 20 residents should receive low-cost units as promised because they had documentation proving their cause,” Chua said.

KTMB filed an appeal a month after the decision was handed down.

Since then, three more residents have opted to join in the lawsuit.

Chua said they would have to provide the proper documentation, including family history and assessment bills paid during their stay at Kampung Railway.

However, the two families highlighted in StarMetro’s article on Dec 16, M. Thanaletchumy and her son-in-law, R. Parthiban, cannot be included in the list as they have already signed agreements to move out.

K. Letchumi, 39, whose house was demolished together with Thanaletchumy’s is also seeking help to fight her case. She has not signed any agreement to move out but her house was still demolished.

Chua said they had only relocated residents who had lived in the area for less than 10 years to Kampung Muhibbah, Puchong.

According to him, brochures sent out by the developers showed that a hypermarket would be built on the land.

“Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) cannot issue a development order for the construction as it was initially planned for low-cost flats,” he said.

Chua said he would bring up the issue with KL mayor Datuk Ahmad Fuad Ismail and Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing minister Datuk Raja Nong Chik Raja Zainal Abidin.

So, YTL is saying those people staying in Kampung Railways are squatters whereas they are descendents of the KTMB employees, and some of them have won their court case against KTM and developer?

Yesterday, residents together with MIC  held a protest:

OVER 50 people, comprising Batu MIC division members and squatters residents from Kampung Railway in Sentul, staged a protest yesterday over claims that low- and medium-cost flats are not being built as promised.

The protest was held at the YTL building in Jalan Bukit Bintang in Kuala Lumpur where the group demanded for the promise based on an agreement in 1994 be fulfilled.

They held placards and marched for a short stretch along the street before crowding in front of the YTL building entrance waiting to hand over the memorandum to a management representative.

In the memorandum, it is claimed that Sentul Raya Sdn Bhd (under YTL) was to build 3,000 units of low- and medium-cost flats and two multi-purpose halls and a football field.

However, the group said not a single low-cost unit has been built 15 yearson.

Batu MIC division chairman C. Ramanathan, who is the group’s spokesperson, said the area was now developed with many high-end apartments.

“What we want is for the developer to honour its promise made 15 years back, that is to build the low and medium-cost units,” said Ramanathan.

“They have been asked to relocate to Puchong but it’s so far away. These are poor people earning like RM400 a month and many are uneducated folks who would not know what is happening once they move there.”

Resident Yogalingam Muthukrishnan, 41, said his father first made the home there 50 years back, and is unhappy now that he is asked to move to Puchong.

“I have children who are still schooling so it’s not convenient for me. Also, they have taken away our football field there,” he said.

YTL Land & Development Berhad customer relations manager Karen Tan later came out to receive the memorandum.

Police officers had gathered around to supervise and man the crowd.

So, is this another case of badly management development with scant regards for the residents? Some of the villages in Sentul exists for more than 100 years, so what happened in last 10 years? Where did all the folks go to?

DAP under fire

December 28th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


And rightly so. Since the idea of local council election was dropped from the Common Policy Framework in favor of a more general statement, DAP is getting a lot of heat. I’m not clear why PAS would oppose the idea of election for local council. After all, by having such elections, the rakyat can directly choose the councilors who will cover many of the basic issues like facilities, environment, cleanliness etc.  The people won’t be tempted to fall for slogans or rhetorics as a non-performing councilor and local council will directly affect the residents.

This step backward will hit DAP hard as they are unable to fulfill their election promises, and also one of their main principles – democracy.

Local council elections must be approved. Council seats should not be used as prize for political parties. In fact, it would be ideal if candidates for local councils are not members of any political parties, since they deal with local council.

Anyway, its dark days ahead for DAP.

You want to be Indian or Muslim?

December 28th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Hey, don’t look at me! That’s what ex-PM Mahathir said to the Indian Muslims at their function (dinner organised by the association of Muslim Kadayanallur in Penang). Yup, he was their invited guest, and I think they are regretting that now! 🙂

To a claim that the Indian Muslims in the country have been neglected, Mahathir said they should choose to either become a Muslim or an Indian.

“The country is very liberal and I think they (Indian Muslims) will be accepted by all if they can pick either to become a Muslim or Indian,” he was quoted as saying by Bernama.

Mahathir said there was no difference between the various races as everyone is a Malaysian.

“The federal constitution also defines a Muslim very clearly. If they want to become a Muslim then just follow the constitution,” he added.

The former premier said if Indian Muslims in the country still call themselves as such, others might think that they still have links to their country of origin.

“The problem of Indian Muslims will be resolved if they can decide and choose to become either a Muslim or an Indian,” he added.

Maybe he’s confused (well, he is 84 after all) between race and religion. Obviously these folks are Muslims (and maybe even better ones than some of the majority race Muslims), so people would be confused with his call. Would JAKIM or the police investigate him for maybe trying to mislead the ummah or something? I don’t know much but I think that a crime has been committed here under some law for saying Indian Muslims are not Muslims. The federal constitution (Article 160, I think) defines a Malay, not a Muslim.

Maybe he just saying drop either Indian or Muslim from their association so that things are clearer for this community. So, the option is to assimilate, rather than integrate. The rational (and beneficial) choice would be to opt for Muslim (and also Malay).

He also asked Chinese and Indians to call themselves Malaysians instead of Chinese or Indians. Says that the Indonesians and Thais do the same. Yup, but they still end up killing each other at the slightest problems, so its just rhetoric.

So, the Indian Muslims need to choose now. What would be? Indian, Muslim or some choice words for our ex-PM?

best Christmas gift for Christians in Malaysia

December 24th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


This is the same minister who sent a memorandum together with nine others to ex-PM Badawi in 2006 about the issue of  conversions and conflict between civil/syariah court.

Asked if he still stood by the memorandum, he said: “To my mind, the memorandum was not at all provocative. As a matter of principle, I stand by it.”

The Sun.

I’m not sure what this guy is trying to say now. That’s politics for you.

The people, regardless of race and belief, can be assured that their interests will always be the concern of the government, says Plantation Industries and Commodities Minister Tan Sri Bernard Dompok.He said that under the leadership of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, the sensitivities of certain quarters would always be looked into and there was always the possibility of the people’s requests being fulfilled in line with the 1Malaysia concept.

“Many people find it hard to believe that freedom of religion works in Malaysia.

“Non-Muslim religious bodies in this country should never feel that their interests are given little attention by the government,” he said at the Penampang district-level Christmas celebration, near here, last night.

Dompok, who is also Penampang member of parliament, said the government had proven that it cared for all races and religions, especially in the recent cabinet’s approval of allowing Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia examination students to take two additional subjects of their choice next year.

This, he said, allowed the students to continue to improve their mother tongue if they chose an elective language subject, or to practise religious teachings, if they chose an elective religious subject.

Many Christian organisations were elated with the announcement, even though it would not be accounted for in the overall examination result.

“But allowing Christian students to have the freedom to take up Bible Studies as an elective subject in a national examination is proof that the government understands the concerns of the Christians.

This is the best Christmas gift for Christians in Malaysia this year,” he said. — Bernama.

I suppose the sane Malaysian will ask why this problem occurred in the first place, thus creating the need for the gift. But hey, who wants sane persons? 🙂

Enjoy your gift folks!

incomplete Fabulous Food 1Malaysia

December 24th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


The discontent is there. Some people are asking why the Tourism Ministry’s Fabulous Food 1Malaysia website doesn’t have Indian food in it. If you visit http://www.fabfood1malaysia.com, you’ll find Nasi Lemak, Laksa, and Bak Kut Teh (cunningly renamed as Meat Bone Tea). As it is, the ministry is in hot soup over the “halal” bak kut teh term, as the Islamic scholars say it may lead the Muslims astray.

The minister, Ng Yen Yen had mentioned previously that more items would be added into the list. So, maybe there’s still hope for thosai, capati, idli, putu mayam, vadai, kesari,  etc to be added. And how in the world can “roti canai” be left out? That’s like heresy!

Food is supposed to unite people, but not necessarily the case in our country, due to various religion and culture.