Archive for the ‘BornInMalaysia’ category

Demolition at Kg Buah Pala today

August 13th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Its a tense situation at Kg Buah Pala today, as the developer arrived with loads of workers and few bulldozers to demolish the houses there. The residents, with activitists, NGOs etc are putting up a stand, not willing to give way. FRU and police trying to maintain the situation. Developer says demolition will go on today. It seems three houses are targetted.  Villagers claim will be contempt of court since appeal hearing is on August 15 or 18.

Read it via live updates from various sources below:

NST,Star, Malaysiakini, Anil Netto, National Express Blog.

Can also follow me in twitter as I compile tweets from above sources.

Perak govt propose changes to solve land problems

August 11th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


The current Perak government is proposing changes in order to solve land problems in Perak. Remember the issue of land titles for New Villages? Perak’s current MB mentioned that the populist by PR government did not get much response. Any comments?

The Perak Government has submitted new proposals to the National Land Council (NLC) in hopes of solving land problems faced by Perak folk.

Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir said the suggestions not only dealt with converting leasehold titles to freehold in new and planned villages but encompassed a more holistic approach to solving the people’s land problems.

“We have submitted our proposals to the NLC and they will decide at their meeting.

“However, it is important to note that we do not want to focus specifically on one particular area or group.

“Land matters in Perak are faced by all and there are many inherent, long-running issues that need to be addressed,” he said after opening the Beruas Umno division delegates’ conference at Dewan Inderawati here yesterday.

Dr Zambry said there were numerous areas where farmers had toiled on the land for decades but had yet to receive land grants or even temporary occupational licences (TOLs).

“In places like Kuala Sapeteng, there are people living in river reserves, which is not appropriate.

“In these kinds of situations, TOLs cannot be issued and we have to think about relocation but I do not want to impose anything on the residents if it goes against their wishes and cause them further hardship,” he said.

Dr Zambry said a more comprehensive approach was needed to solve the state’s land woes, unlike the Pakatan Rakyat’s style of introducing populist policies that would not benefit everyone in the long run.

“It is my dream for each Perak family to have land or at least a home to call their own.

“And I have always stressed that when it comes to land matters, there will be no discrimination amongst different groups or races. Everyone is equal,” he said.

On the move to allow houseowners in the state’s 349 planned and 134 new villages to convert their leasehold titles to freehold at an 80% discount on the land premium, Dr Zambry said the response had been very poor.

Not many can afford it. There are those who can and those who cannot. This is why I said there needs to be a better approach in handling the matter,” he said.

State exco member Datuk Dr Mah Hang Soon said only 2,401 houseowners in the 55,233 in new villages had applied for the conversion.

In planned villages, only 463 houseowners out of the 73,730 had done so.

stating race in forms

August 10th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


This piece of comment from Deputy International Trade and Industries Minister, Mukhriz Mahathir caught my attention:

Malaysians should not be required to state their race in most official forms and documents, said Umno Youth executive committee member Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir.

He said while stating one’s race might be required for certain forms relating to the special privileges of bumiputras, it is not necessary for most, adding that the requirement to state one’s race in official documents was evident in the private sector.

“I would highly encourage that such columns for race be removed. This is in line with the 1Malaysia concept,” he said during a question-and-answer session here.

Mukhriz was responding to a question from Penang Junior Chamber International member Vincent Liew, who asked why Malaysians still needed to fill up a column for race in most official forms.

Liew said it would be better if people from ethnic and religious backgrounds be simply recognised as Malaysians.

Well, I guess you can’t have one set of rules for yourself, justifying it with reasons, and then say that others shouldn’t do the same as you. That’s hypocrisy.  It should be the same across the board. I think the race field should be totally removed or made optional. We can already deduce race/ethnicity to a certain level by looking at the person’s name.

Since we still  use race as one of the parameters for various statistics and indicators, I don’t see the removal of this field in forms any time soon. Probably never. Even though such data can be used to further certain socio-economic agenda, most likely its used for political purposes in reality. That’s life.

ISA Poll by Home Ministry

August 6th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Survey on ISA by Home Ministry reveals at least 90% support removal of the law (as of 11.31pm today).

Check it out at:

http://www.ikdn.gov.my/

The questions being asked:

Pada pandangan anda, ISA adalah…

  • Preventive law
  • Draconian law (91%)
  • Tidak Pasti

Adakah anda faham dan tahu sepenuhnya mengenai ISA?

  • Ya, saya tahu dan faham. (93%)
  • Saya tidak tahu dan tidak faham
  • Saya keliru

Bagaimana anda mengetahui tentang ISA?

  • Melalui bacaan (92%)
  • Mendengar cakap-cakap
  • Tangkap muat

Apa yang anda mahu dari ISA?

  • Dimansuhkan (95%)
  • Diteruskan dengan semakan
  • Saya keliru

Tahukah anda, Amerika Syarikat dan Britain turut mempunyai undang-undang pencegahan mereka yang dikenali sebagai Anti Terrorism Act dan Patriot Act. ISA (Malaysia) adalah salah satu undang-undang yang dirujuk oleh mereka.

  • Ya saya tahu (50%)
  • Saya tidak tahu
  • Tidak memberi apa-apa makna kepada saya (47%)

WHO scenarios estimates 5500 AH1N1 deaths in Malaysia

August 6th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Frightening scenario indeed!

Imagine 5,500 deaths by 2010. That’s the scenario laid out by Dr Tee Ah Sian, director of communicable diseases of WHO:

At a recent briefing to the National Influenza Pandemic Task Force meeting (July 29, 2009), Dr Tee Ah Sian, director of communicable diseases of WHO, painted a possible scenario for the Malaysian A (H1N1) pandemic. While I do not wish to be alarmist, it is good to at least recognise the least impact scenario which has been projected.

For our 27.7 million population, if simply 20% are at risk and exposed, then some 5.5 million people will contract the A (H1N1) flu. Based on other serious influenza statistics, if 2% to 9% require hospitalisation then, some 110,000 to 500,000, respectively, would need hospital care.

From these numbers, if we estimate the case fatality rate to be from 0.1% to 0.5%, then some 5,500 to 28,000 of infected patients would die, respectively. In the latest updates of the most seriously ill patients identified and confirmed infections, the global case fatality rate has risen from the 0.4% to 0.66%. So, the hardnosed reality is that it is more than likely that the worse is yet to come. We can only hope that this is the worst case scenario.

Even if we reduce the risk percentage from 20% to 5%, and maintain the other ratios, there will still be between 27 and 623 deaths. As of today, there’s 14 deaths. But rumours are abound that the number of deaths is higher and not being disclosed (probably can’t be 100% attributed to AH1N1).

The problem is that many people are going to hospitals when having sore throats, flu,fever, cough, stomach ache, vomitting, body pain, breathing difficulties – symptoms that can be caused by a variety of ailments. The hospitals say that one must have been exposed to AH1N1 conditions (travelled overseas or in contact with a victim), and have fever about 38 degrees celcius, besides having the above symptoms. I’ve read the papers for last 3 days whereby readers write in and complain on being refused throat swabs for AH1N1.

Its a winless situation because the medicine is limited, and taking it as a preemptive step will render the medication useless when you actually get infected. There’s too many cases to test.

Should people who have such symptoms stay at home? I’m sure they won’t mind, but who’s going to pay their salary? Companies won’t simply accept the reason that you “may” have AH1N1 and thus are going to stay at home. Do you want to use your annual leave? Can doctors at clinic give a 5 day MC? Will it be unpaid leave? Knowing Malaysians, they rather go to work shivering in fever as long as can get salary.Such is the hardworking mentality (what to do..cost of living too high!).

So, what does the DG of Health Ministry mean when he says you should stay at home?