Archive for the ‘BornInMalaysia’ category

Astro Sports Channel Price Increase

August 6th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


ASTRO struck a chord at the wrong time. Economy is not improving, and they see it fit to increase the price of the sports channels (channels 811-814) by RM12, meaning RM144 increase per year. Since my subscription is not bound by contract anymore, I’m seriously thinking about removing the sports channel. Just need to pay RM1.50 for teh tarik at nearby restaurant per trip, to watch EPL games.

Anyway, is the cost justified? For one the cost of licensing may be increasing for the football games. But the number of subscribers also increasing. Doesn’t it even out?

However, I think Astro screens too many advertisements. There are sponsors for the in-house programs like Toyota, Nokia, Maxis, etc. Why not have a channel without all these studio-based programs, and just show live telecasts of the games. I wonder if I’m also paying to all these sponsors as well.

Secondly, maybe they should split the sports channel into a few popular segments – soccer, F1, tennis, golf, general, etc. Just make it into mini packages which the customers can choose according to their needs. For people like me who just watch EPL and Champions League games, it will be a better option.

So how? Get rid of Astro? Its a strong possibility at the moment.

So far 15,000 over people had signed a petition protesting the price hike (or better still just disconnect Astro if you feel strongly about it since I don’t think Astro really cares what you or I feel). You can do the same at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/astropce/petition.html

Mystery Memorandum for 1Malaysia Carnival Batu Caves

August 5th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


I’m sure by now many are aware about the impending 1Malaysia Carnival at Batu Caves on coming Sunday (9th August 2009).

I first heard about via emails. There was no info on the organisers, but among the agenda was concerts, fireworks display, and visit by PM Najib. Event to start at 4pm till night. The emails urged the Indian community to attend so as to show support to the 1 Malaysia concept.

Today’s Star Metro provides more info:

THE 1Malaysia Batu Caves Carnival will be organised for the first time by Sri Mahamariamman Devasthanam and the Malaysian Hindu Council.

“Malaysians of all races must not wait for Thaipusam to turn Batu Caves into a carnival ground.

“The grounds of Batu Caves should reverberate to the joyful sounds of a carnival more than once a year,” Batu Caves temple committee chairman Datuk R. Nadarajah said.

The three-day event, which will run from Aug 7 to 9, will feature cultural performances representing the three main races in Malaysia as well as other interesting shows.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak will grace the event at 4pm on Aug 9.

“Datuk Seri Najib will be the first prime minister to visit Batu Caves during a non-Thaipusam period,” Nada-rajah said at a press conference at the Batu Caves temple office recently.

He added that since the prime minister had introduced the 1Malaysia concept, they wanted to play a part in helping him implement it.

Nadarajah will be handing over a memorandum to Najib during his visit. The contents of the memorandum will be revealed on that day.

“We are expecting more than 10,000 people to attend this carnival.

“We urge the public and not only the Indians to attend this carnival and welcome the prime minister and show their support,” said Nadarajah.

Obviously it will be the first time for Batu Caves because 1Malaysia was just introduced this year!

Looks like its a 3 day event ending on the 9th and all Malaysians are urged to attend. I’m not sure why Batu Caves Committee is getting involved in such things. Maybe as they mentioned, want to make Batu Caves are more lively place and not just visited on Thaipusam day.

The organisers should take this opportunity to educate and create awareness among non-Hindus about our religion,  so that common misconceptions (many Gods, eating beef, vegetarianism, reincarnation, karma, wearing vibuthi,  etc) are cleared. Perhaps by putting up exhibitions and distributing flyers (say “10 Things You Should Know About Hinduism” in trilingual), they can help foster better relationship between Hindus and non-Hindus. As it is, there are many non-Hindus who don’t know beyond Deepavali (murukku) and Thaipusam (kavadi)!

There are calls to boycott the event due to various reasons related to 1 Malaysia concept and the  Devastanam. Some comments are going around in the forums asking community to ignore the event, and questioning the expenses being incurred.

I’m also concerned with the “mystery” memorandum Nadarajah wants to handover. By attending the carnival, would it be construed as supporting the unknown memorandum? I won’t want to support something which is hidden from me without any reason.  So I have my reservations.

The organisers are expecting 10,000 people (a conservative number considering Thaipusam will see about 20,000 – 50,000 at any one time), but since there is opposition towards the carnival, not sure how it would turn out. I think the crowd will be there since its a carnival and youths like the fun atmosphere.

KTMB approves land for school after 10 years!

August 4th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


 This news came out on Malaysiakini (July 28). The community which slogged for KTM in the yesteryears have to wait 10 years for an approval (and that too with the struggle of a political party). Syabas to KTM!  We should be thankful that at least they gave the approval.  Let’s give them full marks for the CSR.

The 10-year struggle by MIC to get railway land approval for the reconstruction of termite-infested SJK (T) Perak Sangeetha Sabah has finally seen the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel when Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB) approved the application recently.

The wooden-double storey wooden building situated on a 0.3ha land along Jalan Tun Abdul Razak is in the heartland of the Indian community in Ipoh city and has an enrolment of 178 pupils.

Malaysiakini had recently highlighted this long-standing problem when the dilapidated primary school (right) could not accommodate the growing number of Indian schoolchildren in this area.

Today, Perak MIC chief G Rajoo told the media that all the pupils and staff of the school will be temporarily relocated at SK Buntong at the end of the month.

“The construction work on the new four-storey building costing RM2.3 million will commence on Aug 17 and is expected to be completed in a year’s time,” Rajoo stated.

Old school replaced

The old school, built in 1934 consisted of six-classrooms, will now make way for a 12-classroom new school.

On July 10, MIC president S Samy Vellu had expressed his frustration at KTMB’s refusal to approve the railway land for construction of the new school.

He is said to have wanted to take up the matter with Transport Minister Ong Tee Keat.

Rajoo (left) further stated that a total of RM 6 million has been allocated for the construction and expansion of three Tamil primary schools which includes SJK (T) Sangeetha.

The other two schools which will have a new extension wing each are SJK (T) Ghanthi Kalasalai in Sungai Siput with 10 additional classrooms and SJK (T) Tan Sri Datuk Manickavasagam situated in Tanjong Malim with six additional classrooms.

“Another eight Tamil schools will either undergo reconstruction or extension of the buildings,” said Rajoo.

The schools are: SJK(T) Ladang Beruang River in Tanjung Malim, SJK(T) Methodist (Malim Nawar), SJK(T) Ladang Kota Bharu(Gopeng), SJK(T) Ladang Batuk Rabit (Teluk Intan),SJK(T) Ladang Flemington(Sungai Sumun), SJK(T) Noba Scotia 2 (Teluk Intan), SJK(T) Jebong Lama(Matang) and SJK(T) Ladang Gabis( Padang Rengas).

Earlier, Samy voiced out his frustation (and he should do more of this so that the community can know who the culprits are):

“They have forgotten the sacrifices made by Indians who played a major role in the construction of the railway track from Ipoh to Padang Besar,” said Samy.

… “KTMB must remember that the railway track could not have been completed without the manpower of Indians. Many sacrificed their lives when the Padang Rengas railway tunnel was being built,” said Samy

“KTMB has conveniently forgotten the history of the Indian community’s contributions to the construction of the railway network,” he added.

He said there is a big Indian community concentrated in this area and more Indian children want to enrol in SJK (T) Perak Sangeetha Sabah.

“But there is not enough space to accommodate them unless KTMB gives permission to rebuild the school.”

Samy pointed out that Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak (right) had given RM100 million, and former premier Abdullah Ahmad Badawi had allocated another RM30 million for the construction of 60 new Tamil schools.

The money is also for repairs and extension of buildings for Tamil schools in the country.

“SJK (T) Perak Sangeetha Sabah is on the list schools which is to benefit from the allocations, but KTMB is denying the Indian community the right to study in a newly-built school.

‘I’m going to speak Tee Keat’

“When we have the funds (to build new schools)… we do not have the land and, when we have the land… we do not have the funds,” said a frustrated Samy (below).

“I’m going to speak to transport minister Ong Tee Keat about this matter (KTMB’s decision not to allow MIC to build a new school),” he said.

JJ rewarded with ambassadorship

August 4th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Was this the guy who allegedly behaved improperly against a woman sometime back? The woman lodged a police report and later made a statutory declaration to cancel the police report.

And surely this is the guy who mentioned something about Indian community in a talk with students in US two years back. Yeah, he apologized.

People can change for the better, repent and also learn from past mistakes. I guess we ought to give him the benefit of doubt and a job. Forgive and forget. Be magmanious.

How about the position of Ambassador to the USA? Our congrats to Jamaluddin Jarjis, who received the credentials from the King today.

8th death in space of one month…

August 3rd, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


AH1N1 gained another victim today, bringing the number to 8. When i left for holidays, there was no deaths. And in the space of exactly 30 days, we have 8 deaths. That’s a big jump and a cause for concern.

When I was in Chennai airport, there were just few people wearing masks. In KLIA, nearly everyone wore masks last week. But we weren’t scanned or anything. Just filled up the declaration form and left.

When I went to hospital last weekend, the staff at the “kaunter saringan” said that need to have temperature of above 38 degrees as one of the criteria. Since both of us had no fever, we were deemed free from the virus. However, need to monitor for next 7 to 10 days, said the guy.

So what went wrong? Lack of apathy by the public? Lack of publicity? Slowness of the authorities? Procedural flaws? Is it a sign of problem in th public health mangement services? The death rate is fast approaching National Service number, so need to do something.