Everybody can contest. I want 100 people to contest the president’s post.
MIC President has given the green light. Let’s see if got anyone who will take up the challenge, besides Muthupalaniappan, that is.
Everybody can contest. I want 100 people to contest the president’s post.
MIC President has given the green light. Let’s see if got anyone who will take up the challenge, besides Muthupalaniappan, that is.
DAP organised Run for Freedom kicked off at Pandamaran stadium, Klang today. Anil Netto has the tentative schedule of the run. Meanwhile, the only report so far is from Malaysiakini. Reproduced below with photos:
DAP’s anti-ISA marathon began its 350km journey to the Kamunting Detention Camp in Pandamaran, Selangor, this morning with several party personalities kicking the event off.
Party vice-chairperson and former Internal Security Act detainee Tan Kok Wai flagged off the low-key event at the Pandamaran new village at 8.15am with a short speech.
He said the event was meant to express the public’s disappointment with the continued use of unjust and repressive laws such as the ISA.
“We call upon the government to immediately and unconditionally release all detainees held under the ISA,” he told a crowd of about 50 party supporters.
Tan said the purpose of the event, dubbed the ‘freedom run’, was also to call for a lift of the ban on the Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf), adding that it symbolises equality, freedom and a call to all Malaysians to unite in order to “move forward”.
The DAP event was given a boost with the presence of popular blogger Raja Petra Kamaruddin and his wife Marina Lee Abdullah. Raja Petra has been detained twice under the ISA.
The wife of Hindraf legal advisor V Ganabatirau, V Buvaneswary, was also present during the flag off. Ganabatirau and four other Hindraf leaders have been in detention in Kamunting since Dec 13 last year.
‘Run will be bear fruit’
Other personalities at the event included DAP advisor Dr Chen Man Hin and Selangor state executive councilor Ronnie Liu, who was the first runner at the event.
“It was an honour to be the first,” said Liu, who headed towards Bukit Tinggi, where the flag was passed to an awaiting runner at the service centre of Klang MP Charles Santiago.
Liu told Malaysiakini he had high hopes that the objective of the run would be accomplished as similar runs in the past had been successful.
This includes DAP’s campaign to save Bukit Cina, Malacca from development and SRJK(C) Damansara primary school from permanent closure.
“We have organised this kind of run in the past and every time, it had been fruitful. You can expect this run to bear fruit in the future as well,” Liu said confidently.
Also lending their support were Pakatan Rakyat coalition partners PAS and PKR. Elected representatives from these two parties will be joining in the run when the flag passes through their constituencies.
Two Pakatan MP’s who have confirmed their participation are S Manikavasagam (PKR-Kapar) and
Dzulkefly Ahmad (PAS-Kuala Selangor).End in Kamunting
If all goes to plan, the anti-ISA flag would pass through hundred of hands in the coastal towns of Kapar, Kuala Selangor and Sekinchan today, before ending up in Sabak Bernam, which borders Perak, by this evening.
After breaking for the night, the second leg of the run will begin at the border between Selangor and Perak before runners take the flag to Kamunting.
The flag would be passing through Teluk Intan, Setiawan, Pantai Remis, Simpang and Taiping before finally reaching Kamunting.
About a dozen plainclothed police officers kept a close watch at the proceedings at the Pandamaran new village this morning while riot police were on standby in a nearby police station.
Commenting on the police presence, Manikavasagam said there was an overwhelming number of police personnel at his service centre in Kapar.
There were so many of them. Even the Klang OCPD and his deputy were here, he told Malaysiakini.
Manikavasagam said the police disallowed more than five persons from running at the same time and asked several individuals to remove button badges with
the ‘Hindraf’ on it.I’m disappointed because the police did not allow more than five people to run with their elected rep, he said.
He added that the turnout at Kapar was large and multiracial, adding that the large numbers may have attracted the attention of the police.
Photos below courtesy of S Jayathas, co-ordinator of Police Watch and Human Rights Committee Malaysia
Video |4 mins
Remember Rajeshvari?
Looks like she’s back with her parents after some initial misunderstanding. After being advised, she’s suing all those relevant folks, including the Home Minister Syed Hamid Albar. For RM6 million.
Perak EXCO Sivanesan is helping out.
Something new is mentioned this time. It seems the police promised to get her thumbprints after she was arrested, but never did so.
Rajeshvari claimed she had told police she was a Malay-sian and that she could not recall her identity card number as she had lost it. Police pro-mised to get her thumbprint to facilitate investigations but failed to do so. She had also informed Immigration officials that she was a Malaysian, but no action was taken.
He said that some of the Indians who came to see him did not have birth certificates because their parents had not registered their births.
“As a result, they are unable to apply for an identity card, attend school, get a job or register their marriage.
“They live in perpetual fear of being nabbed and detained along with illegal immigrants.
“Their predicament is the result of their parents, mostly estate workers, being illiterate, poor, ignorant or irresponsible.”
Murugiah said most were displaced when plantations made way for development.
“Some of them may have misplaced or lost their documents and cannot trace them. They have given up hope of getting replacements because of NRD’s stringent procedures.”
Meanwhile, NRD director says:
He said NRD staff members would sit down with these people and try to identify the problem.
“But unless they come to us and give us some proof of being Malaysians we cannot help.
“Our officers will thoroughly investigate all cases. If they do not have any form of documents they could be foreigners trying to stay on in Malaysia or illegals.”
This is a good move as groups like MIC Youth and NGOs can make use of weekends to help the community.
Received via email:
13/11/08. BALAI POLIS SENTUL
No report ; SENTUL/13812/08
We were call under Section 111 to investigate regarding Section 48(1) Societies Act
the question they ask ;-
1)Were you at Parlimen on 22/10
2)What was purpose of coming to Parlimen
3)Was there a press statement
4)How you know there’s a press statement
5)Who did the press statement
6)What are the statement done
7)Are you a member of any society
8)Who are the reporters present
9)What is the position in that society
10)What’s the puspose of the society
11)Is the society registered with Suruhanjaya
12)How long was the press statement
13)How many supporters came
14)How many people attended the press statement
15)Was there Q&A
16) Did you distribute any articles
17)What are the contends of the articles
18)What was the situation of the press statement
19)Do you know who is HINDRAF leader
20)What’s the purpose of HINDRAF
21)How did you came to the Parliment
22)Did you get financial aid to come here
23)Do you represent any society
24)Do you know your suppoters names
25)Did you know HINDRAF been banned.
We only answered the first question.
The rest of the Question we invoked Section 112(2)- our fundamental right to remain silent.
This action by the Royal Police Force of Malaysia is nothing but harassment and intimidation of our right as citizens of Malaysia. We as Malaysian citizens have a right to go to Parliment. What is so wrong in going to Parliament to provide evidence of the lies by the Malaysian Home Minister. Malaysia is degenerating into the darkness of Political Autocracy. SHAME ON THE UMNO REGIME THAT PREVENTS ITS CITIZENS TO GO TO PARLIAMENT. THE POLICE ARE USED AS UMNO’s TOOL TO SUPPRESS DEMOCRACY.
S.JAYATHAS
POLICE WATCH & HUMAN RIGHTS COMITTEE
Valga Makkal SAKTHI
The following is reported by NST:
Former coordinator of the outlawed Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf) R.S. Thananthiran was summoned by the police today over a commotion in Parliament on Oct 22.
Besides Thananthiran, Police Watch Malaysia member S. Jayathas was also seen entering the Sentul police headquarters at 10.15am. They left about two hours later.
Sentul police chief ACP Zakaria Pagan said later that police had recorded statements from the two individuals.
Thananthiran told reporters: “Both of us were asked some 20 questions on the handover of a memorandum on Oct 22 but we only anwered a few because it is our right not to answer. We are only ordinary citizens.
“Why were we called to give evidence when we only went to Parliament that day to hand over a memorandum? Nevertheless, we thank the police for their professional conduct today,” he said.
He also said members of Parliament for Kapar S. Manikavasagam and Teluk Intan Dr M. Manogaran had been summoned to give statements over the same incident tomorrow.“I feel Home Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar should also be called to give evidence since there are over 40 police reports lodged against him nationwide over his inaccurate remarks about Hindraf,” Thananthiran said.
Valga Uthaya SAKTHI