Archive for the ‘Indian’ category

Update on Rajeshvari

September 9th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


More update on Rajeshvari – The Star reported that the girl’s family are looking for her now, but according to Rajeshvari, she’s not interested in meeting them. And more surprisingly, the girl has some friends with whom she is currently staying with. The family background is reproduced below.

SEREMBAN: M. Rajeshvari, who was freed last Friday after being wrongfully detained in an immigration depot for 11 months, caused a scare when her family could not locate her over the weekend.

However, Malaysian Indian Youth Council vice-president Andrew Raju, who helped free Rajeshvari, finally got hold of her yesterday. Rajeshvari, he said, told him she was staying with friends but stressed that she was not ready to meet anyone, even her family.

Her family members have been looking for the 22-year-old after her story appeared in Sunday Star.

Her father, who only wanted to be identified as Murugiah, had been worried about her whereabouts.

When contacted in Kampar yesterday, Murugiah, a driver for Perak Unity and National Integration and Consumer Affairs Committee chairman and Keranji assemblyman Chen Fook Chye, said: “I just want to find my daughter. She has been missing for so long.”

His wife Parameswari, 47, and daughter Vigneswari, 26, are in Kuala Lumpur to look for Rajeshvari.

Earlier, Vigneswari said her sister left home two years ago and the family believed that she had been living in Sungei Besi. She said her sister stopped schooling at 13 while in the Remove Class. “We heard she got married in Kuala Lumpur but we were shocked to read her story.”

Kohilan wins Gerakan Selangor State Chairman post

September 9th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Other than a certain Ahmad who may well cause another 13th May incident (if we are to believe a pendatang’s son from Indonesia), one other news was of interest over the weekend.

Senator Kohilan Pllay became the first non-Chinese to win the Selangor state chairman position. He beat the incumbent Datuk Lum Weng Keong 187-175. I could probably reason that his position as Deputy Minister and Senatorship meant that if he lost, it will be a big blow to Gerakan’s multi-racial aims, but I won’t said it out loud 🙂

Gerakan is trying hard to shed their one-race party.

Kohilan, buoyed by the win, seem to set his sights on higher platform:

Asked if he would contest for the vice-president post, he said he would leave it to the party’s leadership to decide, although he had received support from many members.

All the best to Kohilan.

detained for 11 months because can’t proof citizenship

September 9th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


This is indeed a tragic story. A young lady who pregnant was detained in Brickfields and kept in immigration detention depot for 11 months – during which she gave birth to a healthy baby boy (10 months old now!). Reason – she was unable to provide proof that she was a Malaysian citizen. 22 year old M. Rajeshvari who was educated up to primary school only, and speaks on a smattering amount of Malay language, could not remember her IC number (which she had lost), and could not provide accurate details on her background. She was jobless. Not in talking terms with her family members, so no one came looking for her. All this led to her detention for 11 months. Due to a stroke of very good luck, her case was forwarded to Malaysian Indian Youth Council vice-president Andrew Raju, who did the necessary follow-up and finally secured her release. She managed to remember her primary school name in Kampar, and Andrew tracked down the rest of the information from there.

Rajeshvari’s lucky release happened because a staff member at a clinic where Logekali was treated for food poisoning last week had alerted Malaysian Indian Youth Council vice-president Andrew Raju. “After my arrest, I kept telling the authorities I was Malaysian but no one believed me,” said a tearful Rajeshvari. Raju, when met outside the depot, said the officers did not pursue her case further as Rajeshvari could not give the right IC number or her parents’ address. “In the beginning, I also had a hard time checking her out because the information she gave turned out to be dead ends, until she recalled her primary school,” he said. Raju then contacted the school’s principal in Kampar in Perak, who managed to trace Rajeshvari’s birth certificate number. Raju then went to the National Registration Department in Putrajaya to get a letter confirming Rajeshvari’s citizenship.

Suhakam is angry with this treatment. Its commissioner Denison Jayasooria said:

One should get to the root of how the verification was done. Holding a citizen like that is a violation of human rights. “If language was a problem, they should have had an interpreter to get to the bottom of it. If it were not for the intervention of the clinic and a voluntary organisation, she would still be in there. He noted that there could be various reasons for her inability to communicate, adding that Rajeshvari may have been terrified, not of sound mind or not confident. “What safeguards are there? How can such a thing be avoided?” Dr Denison said, adding the Immigration Department must be held accountable and that an apology was not enough.

Sound logical too. Language shouldn’t be a barrier.

However, the Immigration Department’s official had a different view:

Immigration Department enforcement chief Datuk Ishak Mohamed said that the burden of proof of citizenship was on the person suspected of being an illegal immigrant. “The new Criminal Procedure Code also allows the suspect to make phone calls to anyone who can help,” he said, pointing out that the police had picked her up, not Immigration officials. “But, please, don’t tell me that after 22 years, you cannot speak Bahasa Malaysia? You mean she would not know how to sing Negaraku either?” he added.

To answer his question – I doubt the girl knows what Negaraku is in the first place. We are talking about primary school dropout, not university graduate. Where in the world can she listen to Negaraku if she last heard it 10 years ago in school? We are looking a someone from poor background, weak in studies, maybe from broken family, and without interest in studies. Would she had the interest to remember Negaraku? A jobless person who is pregnant and being caught by police, stuck in Brickfields, can’t remember IC number because lost the IC – who will she call? What phone number will she remember? But she should be faulted for not being able to talk in Malay language. At least some rojak or bahasa pasar also will do. But wait a minute, even the foreign workers who are in Malaysia for a year or two can speak good (passable) Malay! Does it mean she have to speak like SPM A1 student?

Samy and Dr S.Subra were also talking about this between themselves in the funeral yesterday. They were also wondering how a person could not remember IC number and could not speak Malay language.

I think its a stroke of really bad luck for Rajeshvari that caused her this problem. Lack of education, being at the wrong place at the wrong time, and coupled with bad judgement and lack of initiative by the officials, all led to her misery.

Hopefully, this will be a lesson to all.

samy and dr s.subra attend funeral

September 9th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


was in taiping to attend a funeral yesterday. the deceased was MIC branch chairman, so some MIC people came. total about 150 people were there.

samy came at 1.30pm and stayed till the end at 3.30pm. just got lukewarm response, not many shook hands with him. btw, he also visited the deceased in hospital on sunday.

dr s.subra came at 2pm and parthiban (ex ijok state assemblyman) tagged along him. I wonder what he is doing for a living now. teacher job which paid about rm3500 (my estimate) is no more.

towards the end, local MIC people brought a case of a guy without proper identification to dr s.subra.

their presence honored the deceased.

Samy Vellu and MIC took land meant for Tamil School

September 5th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


This is an interesting news. It has been recently detected (meaning someone want to implicate) that Samy Vellu is the beneficiary of a 3-acre land next to SJKT Effingham, in Bandar Utama, worth about RM50 million. The land is meant to house MIC’s new headquarters.

MIC Secretary General Dr S. Subramaniam says the approval to obtain and build the headquarters was done legally since its being held by trustees as per its constitution.

In addition, each of its trustees executed a ‘Pengakuan Penempatan’ addressed to the land office confirming that they (on behalf of MIC) as trustees were making the said application.

Malaysiakini.

Application was done at Petaling Land Office in the year 2000. He says that all parties concerned were clear that the MIC was proprietor of the land. Proof is available that assessment rates, quit rent etc were paid by MIC.

The title deed was issued in July 2005, and is being kept by MIC’ property division but it seems they overlooked the error in proprietor name which should have been “MIC” instead of “Samy Vellu”. But MIC is in the process of correcting this mistake. It is also stated that the land have been reported in all its audited accounts since 2000.

According to Malaysiakini who picked The Sun’s news, The Petaling Land Office gave the Barisan Nasional party a 99-year lease to 12,141 sq metres of the land in 2005 – making it the largest recipient.

The newspaper report detailed that the 24,000 sq metre land was for both the school, SRJK (Tamil) Ephingam and other public amenities as intended by the area developer. The land was handed over by the developer to the state government for this purpose, however
it was then procured by private parties – with MIC being one of them (buying the land for RM3 million). The buyers have since developed the land for commercial purposes.

There’s two issue here: first the naming of Samy Vellu as benificiary and secondly the usurping of land meant for Tamil school. For the first case, we can take it as genuine mistake and let MIC correct the mistake via legal means. After all, the land have been reported in their accounts all this while.

The second issue bothers me. For the champions of Tamil schools, guardian of Indian community and other self-anointed title-holders to buy land meant for school is revolting. 6 acres were allocated to the school, SJKT Ladang Effingham in 1995 by the developer who gave the land to the state goverment. The state goverment (Menteri Besar at that time was Abu Hassan Omar) then sold half of the land on a 99-year lease to MIC for RM3 million in 2000.

According to Subang MP Sivarasa, MIC should not have bought the land as it should have been aware that the Selangor Education Department had also stipulated that the minimum size of all schools should be five acres (But Seafield school in Kg Medan was 0.6 acre? – remember Toyo and Samy at Kg Medan?).

The school was built in 1998 and consist of a field and a three-story building.

Now, this may mean that MIC honestly did not know the actual purpose of the land when it made the purchase, which in my opinion seriously damages its credibility. OR it may mean that MIC are not really worried if the school has 3-acre only.