Archive for the ‘BornInMalaysia’ category

MIC eyes speaker post

February 10th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


NST reports Samy Vellu as saying 3 candidates being recommended for the post of assembly speaker, while Perak MIC chief Rajoo also said the party will ask new MB to appoint Indians as special officers:

The MIC wants the post of speaker of the Perak assembly.

Sources said party president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu had recommended three candidates to Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

It is understood that the candidates were a mixture of experienced faces and new blood.

Samy Vellu said the party had “made a representation to the deputy prime minister”.

“We have indicated what we need and we leave it to him to decide.

Perak has the largest number of Indians after Selangor and Kuala Lumpur and if we don’t plan things properly, it will be difficult to regain their votes in the next general election.”

In Perak, state MIC chief Datuk G. Rajoo said the party would ask Menteri Besar Datuk Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir to appoint Indian special officers to serve the interests of the community.

He said this was necessary as the state MIC did not have elected representatives in the state assembly.

All four MIC candidates who contested in the state constituencies of Behrang, Hutan Melintang, Pasir Panjang and Sungkai lost in the March 8 general election.

“There is a large Indian community in Perak but we do not have elected representatives in Barisan Nasional.

“We hope Zambry will consider this vacuum and appoint MIC leaders as special officers in charge of Indian affairs.”

According to Malaysiakini, the likely candidate for speaker is a “young Ipoh-based lawyer”. Besides that, both MIC and PPP are eyeing the position of special officer in the EXCO line-up.

The identity of this special officer is not known yet but it is believed that both MIC and Perak-based PPP are vying for their nominee to be appointed to this powerful post.

At the same time, community leaders have also expressed hope that such a post is filled by a non-political person.

Today, 6 of the 10 EXCO have been revealed:

1. Perak MCA Youth head Dr Mah Hang Soon (Chenderiang assemblyperson) – NEW

2. Perak Umno Youth head Zainol Padzi Paharudin (Sungai Manik) – NEW

3. Hamidah Osman (Sungai Rapat) – NEW (remember the “Indians and snakes” issues?)

4. Mohd Zahir Abdul Khalid (Kamunting) – NEW

5. Ramly Zahari (Manong) – was EXCO under previous BN govt

6. Saarani Mohamad (Kota Tampan) – was EXCO under previous BN govt

So far, its 5 UMNO and 1 MCA, which means that another four posts may go to the three defectors and one Indian special officer.

30k for Chinese school orchestra and 1ook for Hindu temple

February 9th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


New BN MB Dr Zambry acts fast indeed. He first announced RM30k for Yuk Choy Primary School orchestra, to which the crowd gave a rousing applause says Malaysiakini.

He also visited Arulmigusubramaniam Temple in Gunung Cheroh at 8.30am on Thaipusam day and during a short speech to the temple-goers, pledged RM100,000 for the temple.

That’s 13ok in 24 hours. Looks like the Chinese and Indians can look forward for more short-term goodies!

resort to whatever means necessary says Khairy

February 9th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


resort to whatever means necessary – what does that mean?

Umno Youth deputy chief Khairy Jamaluddin has called on party members to “resort to whatever means necessary” to prevent former menteri besar Datuk Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin and his group of executive councillors from entering the Perak state secretariat.

“I urge Umno Youth members to gather outside the gates and do what is necessary to stop the illegitimate menteri besar from entering the building,” he told some 1,000 BN supporters who gathered at a football field near the Ipoh City Council here yesterday to express their support for Sultan Perak Sultan Azlan Shah.

Speaking to reporters later, he denied Perak was experiencing a constitutional crisis, saying that the matter was a “crisis of power”.

“Why can’t Pakatan Rakyat accept the due process of law and admit defeat? When we lost five states in the March 8 polls, we backed out with maturity and magnanimity… It is evident from PR’s denial that they were never a coalition for the people but an alliance based on greed. They fell for Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s defection theory and it all backfired,” he said.

Two by elections to gauge rakyat sentiment

February 9th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


One is a state assembly seat in Kedah, while the other is a parliamentary seat in Perak. The Perak by-election will be of highest importance due to the current drama in the state. The seat is vacant due to death of PAS MP Roslan Sharuddin due to suspected heart attack.

The are calls by Perak DAP to put Perak MB Nizar as a candidate to gauge the people’s response to BN takeover of the state. The Bukit Gantang seat has majority Malays, so one can expect a close fight. DPM Najib has a terrible record of all loses in by-elections so far, thus its pertinent that he wins this one.

For the record, in the March 8 general election last year, Roslan had polled 20,015 votes against Abdul Azim Mohd Zabidi’s (Barisan Nasional) 18,449 votes. The third candidate was an independent, M. Morgan, who got 872 votes. Majority was 1,566 votes.

Bukit Selambau is an MIC-allocated seat, so let’s see who Samy puts up as a candidate. PKR does not have such a policy, so we cannot expect an Indian candidate here. Most likely will be Malay candidate. Currently, Pakatan leads with 22 seats against 14 by BN. If Pakatan loses this, the majority reduces and Kedah will be another target for BN since four reps jumping ship will cause BN to hold slim majority of 2.

Perak EXCO lineup tomorrow

February 9th, 2009
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


10 EXCO post with 31 assemblymen as candidates. Actually its only 28 (27 UMNO and 1 MCA) but there’s uncertainty if the three defectors will be offered any posts. Hee will be expecting to retain the deputy speaker post, while MIC is staking a claim for speaker post as it was held by an Indian in Pakatan’s government. This will be hard for UMNO to swallow as they were dead against appointment of Sivakumar and Hee last year, but they have no choice. Have to appease the Chinese and Indians.

Malaysian Insider claims that UMNO sources verified that Hee will be given an EXCO post, which means she gets to drive a Camry. 🙂

With MIC also asking for special officer posts, it will be interesting to see if any of them will be given EXCO seat. I guess a 6:3:1 ratio will be ideal in BN’s eyes. Under Pakatan’s rule, there were 6 Chinese, 3 Malays and 1 Indian. Interestingly, two of the Malays are the ones who defected. Thus, will BN offer them the EXCO seats as well? In that case, it will be a tough on UMNO since it has 27 candidates for 5 positions?

Possible lineup:

5 UMNO

2 Malay independents

1 Chinese independent

1 MCA

1 Indian special officer

Speaker: UMNO

Deputy speaker: UMNO