Archive for the ‘BornInMalaysia’ category

27 places of worship approved in Selangor

October 4th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


This is indeed a good news. It would have been better if the state published the location and for for who it was approved.

However, what surprises me is the claim by the EXCO Lau Weng San that this was in response to “demolition of the
19-year-old Sri Maha Kaliamman temple near Kampung Tasek Tambahan in
Ampang on Sept 11”. Is he talking about the approval or the quit rent and lease period?

I don’t this knee-jerk response is good. There’s bound to be complaints or problems with this kind of fast approvals. Unless of course, Lau was misquoted and the figures were for the period between March and October this year because Ronnie Liu at another press conference said that “so far 27 permits for places of worship, including churches, Hindu
temples and Chinese temples on government land, had been given since
the took over the state government”.

I fail to see how 27 places can be allocated at one time, so most likely Lau or the reporter got it wrong.

The owners of 27 plots of state land approved for
places of worship in Selangor need pay only RM1,000 quit rent for the
first year and a nominal RM1 for subsequent years.

Kampung Tunku
state assemblyman Lau Weng San said this was approved by the state
government, which had also agreed to give 99-year leases on the land.

The places of worship include churches and Hindu and Buddhist
temples, he said at a press conference at the Selangor DAP headquarters
in Taman Paramount here yesterday.

Councillors of local authorities and 27 Selangor DAP committee members were present.

Lau said the move was made in response to the demolition of the
19-year-old Sri Maha Kaliamman temple near Kampung Tasek Tambahan in
Ampang on Sept 11.

Of course, all this is nice to hear, but lets see if the buildings actually rises before giving more credit. For the beginning, its a good start.

MCA elections attract Indians says Merdeka Center survey

October 3rd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Wow, I wonder if MCA change their name and constitution, would more Indians leave MIC/DAP/PKR/PPP and join MCA? 🙂

The poll, conducted by the centre between Sept 11 and 22, interviewed 1,002 registered voters on their perceptions of current issues, the economy and the country’s leadership. Respondents were selected via random stratified sampling method along the lines of state of residence, ethnicity, gender and age. 55% Malay, 36% Chinese, 9% Indian. 51% urbanites and 48% from rural area. Equal number of male and female respondents. 10% aged 63 above, 16% aged 56-63, 29% aged 44-55, 26% aged 32-43, and 19% aged 21-31.

A quarter of the respondents were homemakers, 22% were employed in private sector, 12% each are self-employed and retired, while 8% in public sector, 4% unemployed, and 2% own business.

35% of them had less than RM1500 household income, 26% between RM1501-3000, 14% between RM3001-RM5000, 12% having RM5000 or more, and 13% no answer.

In terms of location, 38% from central region, 24% from southern, 19% from eastern and nothern respectively. As for education level, 35% were SPM leavers, 19% primary education, 18% up to PMR level, 10% diploma, and 11% degree and above.

The margin of error was estimated at ±3.10%. It was also noted that the survey was concluded during “impending” September 16th crossover. The full poll results are in PDF format over here. It covers a wide area –

1. problems affecting the country at the moment – for which 50% were concerned over economic issues and 21% over political issues. Political issues rose 20% compared to March 2008.

2. satisfaction over federal goverment’s handling of the issues – generally the dissatisfaction is above 69&.

3. 21% were not aware of tabling of Budget! 42% said budget not beneficial at all, 23% said somewhat unbeneficial and 28% said somewhat beneficial.

4. 54% said if Pakatan forms federal government, the Malay political power will remain but UMNO loses power.

5. 53% were at least somewhat dissatisfied with PM Badawi’s performance, while 43% approved his performance. This was an overall improvement for all races if compared to the poll in mid August. with Chinese increasing by 5%, while Indians by 3%, Malays by 2%.

6. 44% agree that Najib will be a good PM while 39% disagree. This is an improvement compared to July poll results, except for Indians who declined 5%. It increased the most among the Chinese, 13%.

7. 69% say that Ahmad Ismail’s statement is unappropriate, while 25% agreed. The Indians registered 100% disproval, while it was 90% for the Chinese. It was 58% for the Malays. Hmmm…this is food for thought.

8. In the exclusive question for Malay respondents, 41% felt that Ahmad Ismail’s statement was born out of concern for the Malay community, while 55% said it was due to own political interest.

9. Quite a number of Indians believe Anwar is not an agent of US/Jews (85%), is not a sexual criminal (86%), is a competent manager of the economy (85%) and is a strong and visionary leader (90%). The other communities were not so believing.

10. And probably the most shocking find was that 70% of the Indians knew about MCA election compared to the Chinese themselves (55%) ! Indians were also not agreeable to a politician tainted with sexual scandal to hold senior position in a political party and government at 79%, with Malays at 88%. The Chinese were 54% disagreeable.

There were some other questions related to Anwar Ibrahim, and MCA elections as well.

Deepavali and School Exam clash

October 3rd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


The yearly problem of Deepavali falling during/before/after school exams won’t go away anytime in the future. Deepavali always falls in the month of “Aipasi” (roughly between October 15 and November 15 each year). This is the time when schools conduct their exams, since year end school holidays will start somewhere in the 3rd or 4th week of November.

As such, we also hear grumblings and complaints from parents, teachers, and students every year when Deepavali comes near. Have there been any effort by anyone (like MIC or MHS) to check the schools examination window period at the beginning of the year and advise the ministry accordingly? Or is it always a knee-jerk affair?

This year’s political landscape upheaval means the political parties need to milk as much as publicity in order to stay relevant and fresh in the mind of the community. Actually, I feel that the year 2008 is when the community is starting to take the parties for a ride. I guess MIC have learnt (or still learning?) the lesson, but perhaps the Pakatan Rakyat trinity will need a jolt next year to remind them who’s the boss.

That’s why this year’s Deepavali – school exam clash was mentioned by no less than Samy Vellu. He said that MIC will request the Education Ministry to move the final exams by a week, so that it start a week after Deepavali. Initially, the exams are to start on October 28, a day after Deepavali.

The MIC will request the Education Ministry to move the final year school examinations scheduled to start on Oct 28 to at least a week later, said party president, Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu. This was because it would affect students who would be celebrating Deepavali on Oct 27, he said.

“Conducting the examinations a day after the festival would cause hardship not only to the students but to their parents as well,” he added.

“I hope the Education Ministry will consider our request because the students may not be able to celebrate Deepavali as they will be under stress,” he said in a statement here today.

Samy Vellu said he would write to Education Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein to consider the party’s request. He said many parents and students complained to him that the examination dates were too close to Deepavali.

It was reported that many schools, especially in the Klang Valley would hold final examinations a day after Deepavali. Samy Vellu said it was important for all to be aware of the sensitivities involved when making decisions.

Following the request by MIC, the Education Department replied that schools have been “advised” (Not “ordered”) to ensure that the year-end exams do not clash with Deepavali. Education director-general Datuk Alimuddin Mohd Dom said school authorities should take into consideration the feelings of Hindus before setting the exam dates.

“School heads should look into ways to avoid a clash of the exams and the (Deepavali) celebration. The best is to start the exams a week after Deepavali. “It is the schools’ internal matter and not a big issue. The respective school heads can move the year-end exams to at least a week after Deepavali.”

Obviously, it doesn’t clash, but just comes a day after the festival. So, if just shift by a day, it will still difficult for folks to balik kampung. I guess a week later will be good (more time to revise too!).

Now, few issues may arise from the state by Alimuddin. We may (MAY) hear complaints from teachers that later exam dates means the marking of exam papers will drag a week and this will clash with their personal plans or other school activities or even SPM exam invigilating Secondly, we will have some schools who choose to ignore the “advise”, especially those with small number of Indian students. Of course chinese schools and religious schools would not be affected by this advise, but what about the others.

Secondly this problem may also affect our local universities and other higher education institutions. So, who monitors that? Does this years, semester exams clash with Deepavali period?

Now, not many reported that another politician also made a similar call. I heard it on the radio when it was announced that Deputy Minister Murugiah also approached the Education Ministry on the clash of dates. He, on virtue of overseeing Public Complaints Bureau can easily act on the complaint made by a parent.

Alimuddin also said he had a call yesterday from Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Senator T. Murugiah on the same matter.

So, we now have two politicians fighting over our makkal’s hearts (and votes).

There’s two things to be learnt in this issue.

1. The lack of sensitivity of the school heads in arranging exams to start on a day after Deepavali. The muruku may not have been even digested and Ah Chong had to sit for exam. Give the guy a break man! Where’s your sense of semangat muhibah? Its OK if you don’t care about the Indians, but think about all those food being wasted because the rest of the non-Indians students have to cram over books instead of munching muruku and drenching their thosai with spicy chicken curry (damn! I’m getting into Deepavali mood now!). When else can you get the home cooked Indian food? Definitely not during Hari Raya or Chinese New Year. Its once a year opportunity, so don’t miss it.

2. The possibility that in the future, Deepavali may not even be a public holiday for us. Bearing in mind the population imbalance, this is a very real possibility in perhaps 30 years time. Its possible that some Malay, Islamic, Indonesian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi or Fillipino festival will substitute Deepavali.

More on Ampang Kaliamman Temple issue

October 3rd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


I guess the topic is still about the Kaliamman temple since even yesterday night it still appeared on Buletin Utama news! This time, TV3 decided to focus on the suspension of the MPAJ deputy president which was decided without having a full EXCO board meeting. It showed parts of interview with the EXCO for housing, building management and squatter ( i think). He said such an action will create fear in civil servants who want to follow rules but afraid of politicians interference. He said such decisions should have been taken in EXCO meeting and not by just few people.

The news also showed ADUN for Teratai, Janice saying that they were not informed before and after the temple demolition, and only got to know via the media. She said, temple chairman said a member of public complained, and immediately the enforcement unit came and demolished the temple. I guess she herself was surprised with the speed and efficiency of the MPAJ enforcement officers. Same day response!

Next to talk was ADUN Seri Kembangan, the EXCO in charge of New Village development and Illegal Factory Solutions, Ean Yong, who said that if the deputy was founf guilty, he will be facing disciplinary action.

Now, the most important comment was by the Chief Minister Khalid himself who stammered while talking that “something must not be right” if this thing happened. I’m not sure what he was trying to say. Least convincing to hear him talk.

A quick jump to the Star for more clarity:

The state government will engage the Ampang Sri Mahakaliamman temple committee members in a dialogue to discuss relocating the temple to a more suitable place, said Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim.

Khalid added that the demolition was not in line with Pakatan Rakyat’s principles which propagated that all places of worship be given the due recognition and respect.

He added that the state government would also be talking to all local councils about the importance of decorum and sensitivity when dealing with places of worship.

According to Khalid the state government will also look into what had prompted the MPAJ to demolish the temple. Khalid also said if necessary action would be taken against the officer who had ordered the demolition.

He said the crux of the situation was ensuring that the state government delivered what was right as the Pakatan coalition stressed on justice for all.

Meanwhile, earlier I said that only MIC were making all the noise, but a day later, we see Selangor MCA’s Wanita Chief – Chew Mei Fun and  MCA Youth secretary Dr Wee Ka Siong also joining the fray.

Selangor Wanita MCA chief Datin Paduka Chew Mei Fun condemned the PKR-led Selangor government saying the party’s promise to protect houses of worship was merely a ploy to fish for votes.

“The Indian voters supported Pakatan Rakyat during the General Elections because they did not expect such treatment.”

MCA Youth secretary-general Dr Wee Ka Siong also expressed disappointment over the demolition and questioned PKR’s promise in their election manifesto.

Dr Wee urged the Selangor government especially the state’s three-men committee overseeing the matters concerning non-Muslims comprising Selangor exco members Ronnie Liu, Teresa Kok and Jayakumar to give a satisfactory reply to the demolition of the temple.

I believe this is the first time MCA representative talk about demolition of Hindu temple. Its Ok, better late than never. Ahh…the joy of being in the opposition. Isn’t it great to oppose everything and anything? 🙂

Zaid’s open letter to PM touches on HINDRAF 5

September 30th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


You can read the full version in Malaysiakini, not sure whether will appear in other media (I realised that its true the media editors are advised or even directed to not publish certain news). I just extracted the part that is related to the HINDRAF 5 detainees in ISA:

The same formula was used in late 2007 when the Hindraf 5 were detained. Malaysians were told once again that these individuals were involved in efforts to overthrow the government and had links with the militant Liberation Tiger of Tamil Eelam of Sri Lanka. To date no concrete evidence have been presented to support this assertion.

It would seem therefore that the five were detained for their involvement in efforts that led to a mobilisation of Indian Malaysians to express, through peaceful means; their frustration against the way in which their community had been allowed to be marginalised. This cause has since been recognised as a legitimate one. The Hindraf demonstration is nothing extraordinary as such assemblies are universally recognised as being a legitimate means of expression.

Zaid writes about the irrelevance of ISA now, seeing that its being misused to control dissent rather than national threat. He gives examples of cases – Samad Ismail, Reformasi members, Pas members accused of being terrorists, Hindraf, 5 accused of links with LTTE, Operasi Lalang, Sin Chew reporter Tan Hoon Cheng, Teresa Kok, and Raja Petra.

Interestingly, he cited Ezam Noor, one of the Reformasi members who was labelled as militants, but now welcomed with open hands back into UMNO. People change lah, Zaid sir.