Archive for the ‘Indian’ category

Deepavali Wishes!

October 27th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


As we wait to start the day (its 2.26am now) with renewed vigor and joy, let us not forget those who celebrate Deepavali amidst much suffering and shortcomings.

To all Malaysian Hindus, Happy Deepavali. Deepavali Valthukal!

In times of economic uncertainties and sign of social solidarity, let us celebrate Deepavali in its true sense. Moderate expenses and quiet appreciation of God’s blessings, hopefully will be your choice.

Let us pray for those who suffer for us, and for those who stand for us. Let us unite with one voice, one action.

Oh ya, SAY NO TO ALCOHOL. Make this Deepavali alcohol free.

PS: The 10 concerned Indians arrested while accompanying a 6-year old kid to invite Prime Minister to Deepavali open house were release on Deepavali eve at 1.30pm.

Syed Hamid threatens other NGOs who support HINDRAF activities

October 25th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Well, looks like the dragnet is expanding. Now, all NGO’s who are “involved” in HINDRAF activities would face the law as well. That means Police Watch Malaysia I guess – the precursor to HINDRAF. If I’m not mistaken, HINDRAF itself is a coalition of 20 over NGOs. That means all those NGOs have to be banned as well. How about those who support HINDRAF’s purpose/activities – like Gerakan, MIC members, MHS, PAS, PKR, DAP, Bar Council, Suharam, GCC, HSS, etc.? Semua kena tangkap ka?

Home Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar today warned that any non-governmental organisation found to be involved in Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf) activities would face the law.

He said this was because Hindraf was declared illegal by the government on Oct 15 for its militant activities, and that its actions contravened Section 5 (1) of the Societies Act 1996 and were a threat to public order, peace, civility and moral values.

“It doesn’t matter what name they use, action will be taken…it’s not an action against Indians or Hindus. This is action against groups that associate themselves with militancy and have extremist views,” he told reporters at the ministry’s Aidilfitri open house, here.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

MIC Youth helps 3 poor families

October 25th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Not bad, MIC Youth manages to upstage Pakatan governmenti in Penang by providing help to the families. Not sure where the current state government reps are. Busy with Deepavali preparation? Or solving flood problems?

Anyway, one can wonder what the state MIC had been doing all this while. Well, better late than never.

Barely a day after their plight was highlighted, help has poured in for three hardcore poor families living in dilapidated pre-war houses in Kampung Minyak, Jalan Datuk Keramat, here.

At noon yesterday, Penang MIC Youth members led by treasurer J. Dhinagaran, brought cheer to the families by donating food to them for the Deepavali celebrations.

They gave packets of rice, oil, vegetables and muruku to the delighted families.

Dhinagaran also presented them with a contribution of RM200 each. The state MIC Youth also agreed to adopt two of the three families.

A good Samaritan who wished to be known only as “Sim” also donated RM200 to each of the families.
K. Pynthamilselvi, 27, who was photographed in tears in the New Straits Times yesterday, was all smiles when she received the gifts.

“I am so grateful to the state MIC Youth members as well as the good Samaritan who came to my aid.

“Deepavali celebrations this year will be meaningful for me and my children,” said the mother of three young children, whose husband is in prison.

At present, the Sadhu Vaswani Group is providing food for the family.

“I really don’t know how to thank those who helped me.

“Only God can repay your kindness,” she added.

R. Ravichandran, 42, said he would always cherish the kind gesture of the state MIC Youth and Sim.

Ravichandran, a father of six and whose wife, S. Selvarani, 36, is mentally ill, said his family would be receiving monthly food aid from the state MIC Youth.

S. Kananghambal, 42, will also receive monthly food aid from state MIC Youth.

Dhinagaran said he was moved by the families’ plight and decided to lend a hand.

He said he hoped the state government would do all it could to assist the three families, especially to obtain low-cost housing.

Did you realise that the words “MIC Youth” appeared 6 times in the article? PR kaw kaw la!. Well done!

Blogged with the Flock Browser

Brickfields the new Little India?

October 25th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


I still remember those days Lebuh Ampang was a beehive of local Indian community. Now its becoming a meeting place for foreign workers. Areas around Masjid Jamek has been hijacked and turned in Ramadan Bazaar few years back. When Hari Raya and Deepavali came in the same month (happens every 30 odd years once and 3 years in a row) few years back, the Deepavali traders were relocated to Brickfields. At that time, there were some commotion and problems, but of course we have no say, and had to move to Brickfields area.

So, now Brickfields is planned (is it in KL 2020 City plan?) to be Little India. Good for them. Another “WILL” which will take ages to materialise, if at all it does.

Najib also supported the proposal to develop Brickfields into a “Little India”.

“Brickfields is a unique place because it is a microcosm of the Indian community,” he said, adding that in the past the Government had acquired three pieces of land in the area from Tenaga Nasional Bhd to erect Hindu temples.

“We will continue to develop this area. It is important for us to be one,” he said.

Earlier, Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Zulhasnan Rafique said Brickfields had a 100-year history and suggested that it should be developed into a Little India like those in Vancouver, London and Paris.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

Yet another task force WILL be set up

October 25th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


The wheels are in motion. Hindraf has been banned. MIC announces it welcomes HINDRAF members to join MIC. Now a task force WILL (can you remember how many WILLs have been said and its status now?) set up to look into problems of Indians without proper identification. Deputy PM Najib announced this. Actually a task force was set up for Sabah last week (WAS!) to settle similar problem faced by Sabahans.

The Government will set up a task force to look into the problems faced by Indians born in Malaysia who have no birth certificates and identity cards, said Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

The Deputy Prime Minister said there were 20,000 to 30,000 Malaysian Indians who had no documentation and that he had raised the issue at last week’s Cabinet meeting.

“Malaysians born in this country must be given ICs and birth certificates. We have decided that the Home Ministry will set up a special task force to provide genuine citizens with proper documents,” he said Thursday in his speech at the Bazaar Deepavali in Brickfields.

He stressed that this applied to only Malaysians of Indian origin born here, and not those who came from India for work or other purposes.

Can anyone venture a guess why this is announced now? Surely this is not a new problem that fell from the sky. So what changed? Is it due publicity of such cases in the media? Is it due to MIC? Is it due to BN’s rebranding? Or is due to the “H” word? Is it mere coincidence? Is it due to change of political climate?

For many years, MIC Youth has been trying to solve this problem. T Mohan said they could only solve few cases at one time and the success rate was low. So, what changed?

Blogged with the Flock Browser