Archive for the ‘Indian’ category

Action against HINDRAF under Societies Act

October 9th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


After Home Minister Syed Hamid started the ball rolling by labeling Hindraf visit to Hari Raya open house as “very threatening“, Deputy Home Minister added that government will take action using the Societies Act 1966.

Funny thing is, Syed Hamid said that the Government would study public feedback on the matter before responding to calls for the Hindu Rights Action Force to be banned. He claimed that the action during the open house could easily have become a danger to public order if the situation had erupted or if one of the members had been carrying something dangerous.

“Security cannot be taken for granted and we are worried about the prospect of other open houses being ambushed in this way.

“We are getting feedback before we decide on the next course of action,” Syed Hamid told The Star.

He declined to reveal what measures, if any, would be taken against the group or how long the Government would collect such feedback.

Syed Hamid, however, pointed out that the Government’s decision would not rest solely on the latest incident, but would encompass all that had transpired in the past with Hindraf.

“We can’t just react to one incident or action and there is no such thing as Hindraf as it is an unlawful society. It is not registered,” he said.

Actually there is something called HINDRAF. If not why are few people upset over nothing? There are many loose entities, like Aman Malaysia for example. Its just a feeling of affiliation.

I agree with this, but for the matter, anyone who visited the open house could have been an assassin, mentally disturbed or depressed, thus its highly likely that future open houses are installed with metal detectors, bomb squads, and also body checks being conducted. Forget Hindraf, you’ll never know when a demented person does something stupid. I remember reading that statistically every one in three person are mentally affected one way or another, which means potentially 8 million Malaysians can do something illogical, stupid, dangerous, and careless. But even if all Indians are HINDRAF supporters, that’s only 1.8 million people. So, whether HINDRAF attended or not, security was lax at the venue. Perhaps the police want to cover up their weakness?

Deputy Home Minister, Senator Datuk Wan Ahmad Farid Wan Salleh, said the government will take action against the Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf) under the Societies Act 1966 for causing a disturbance during the Hari Raya function hosted by the Prime Minister and Muslim Cabinet ministers at the Putra World Trade Centre in Kuala Lumpur last Wednesday.

He said action would be taken soon on Hindraf, its committee, and members, even though the organisation was not registered.

“Action will be taken. We have many alternatives. Under the Act, whether the organisation is legal or not, it is still an organisation. If it is not legal, action will be taken based on the provisions for an illegal organisation, unless if it is legal then action will be taken under the proper provisions,” he said.

Wan Ahmad Farid said this when asked to comment on calls by several quarters that action be taken against Hindraf for their ’rudeness’ at the function on the first day of Hari Raya.

Wan Ahmad Farid said the government through the Home Ministry would not hesitate to take action against an illegal organisation as it had to follow the law.
“When it comes to the law, there must be no delay. Whatever action taken has to follow procedure and legal channels. What is clear in this matter is that whoever breaks the law must face action,” he said.

Wan Farid Ahmad, however, declined to state what action will be taken aginst Hindraf.

He said when action is taken, Hindraf cannot blame the government, or allege that it had not been given opportunity to voice its views.

I’m a bit lost here. When was HINDRAF given opportunity to air its views? Was it on TV because I missed it. However, if its leaders are taken into custody (fines won’t work), we are looking at 30-odd people being arrested. And definitely stronger support for HINDRAF.

HINDRAF condemns Utusan

October 9th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


After making police reports and voicing their plans to sue Utusan, Hindraf also vented their unhappiness over the paper’s continuing condemnation of HINDRAF, claiming that its politically motivated. I this is unavoidable because the paper is owned by a political party, so surely there will be an element of selective reporting.

Utusan Malaysia today front-paged calls for action against Hindraf supporters who were allegedly unruly at the ministerial Hari Raya ‘open house’ last Wednesday at the Putra World Trade Centre in Kuala Lumpur.

The report entitled ‘Tegas tangani Hindraf’ (Deal firmly with Hindraf) quoted several individuals who called on the government to take action.

Reacting to this, Thanenthiran said: “Umno elections are around the corner. Now, they are condemning Hindraf to get Malay support…(Utusan) is trying to please its political owners.”

He claimed that the daily did not present a true picture of what transpired at the event and did not contacted Hindraf representatives for clarification either.

Another coordinator, Jayathas said that photographs of the even available on HINDRAF website is enough to show what happened on that day. But I think, there must be independent evidence as well.

“They should go to our website and see the photos. These show very clearly that everything was done in a peaceful way. It is not our culture to create havoc in other people’s house,” he said.

On suggestions in the Utusan report that Hindraf was being rude to the Malays and Islam, Jayathas said it was a non-issue because the movement merely used the opportunity to ask Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to repeal the Internal Security Act (ISA).

“How can they say that we are racist? In what way? We are just asking for the ISA to be abolished,” he said.

Hindraf’s legal advisor, lawyer Surendran said it was the police who acted unruly that day.

“They were intimidating and threatening to arrest people who came to participate in the ‘open house’. They (initially) prevented the Hindraf supporters from entering the venue.

“One even asked P Waythamoothy’s (Hindraf chairperson-in-exile) wife to remove her t-shirt (which carried a Hindraf logo),” he said.

Surendran said Hindraf has become the victim of a harsh campaign to incite hatred against the movement and Indian Malaysians.

“They creating something out of absolutely nothing. Absolutely nothing violent happen during ‘open house’ (at) an open venue. Nothing wrong with that in a democracy,” he said.

On Home Ministry secretary-general Abdul Aziz Mohd Yusof’s suggestion that Hindraf be ‘banned’, Surendran said that the statement was “absurd” and without justification.

“(Hindraf) is not a terrorist or armed movement. It is a mass movement of citizens calling for social improvement – not just for Indians, but all marginalised communities,” he added.

Although Hindraf is not a registered body, Surendran argued that the movement exists by virtue of Article 10 of the Federal Constitution which guarantees the right to freedom of association.

Citizen Nades on temple demolition

October 9th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Therefore, it was a welcome relief when the chairman of the Sri Mahakaliamman temple committee pleaded that individuals do not turn the demolished temple issue into a political battleground. S. Murugiah said the day after the demolition, the temple committee, together with Lembah Jaya state assemblyman Khasim Abdul Aziz, had met with Ampang Jaya Municipal Council (MPAJ) officials.

“We met with deputy council president Hamid Hussain to complain about the demolition and showed him documents. Hamid admitted that MPAJ had made a mistake, following which Khasim and MPAJ councillors had been working on getting the temple rebuilt and registered. So, stop making more statements for or against us,” he was quoted by the NST as saying.

In short, the message to politicians was: A mistake has been made; someone has admitted to it; a solution is being worked out; in the interim period, please stay out and don’t interfere on an issue between the temple and the authorities. To put it curtly, knowing how it could be the catalyst for yet another problem, the message was crystal clear: Stay out because we know how to and will sort out the problem ourselves.

But no, politicians will not listen to temple committees because they consider it is their right to speak on behalf of God. But no, politicians can’t resist making the headlines and getting the “feel good” vibes in their system. But no, politicians will go to any lengths to tell the world that they are alive and kicking when they are on the edge of oblivion. But no, this is a godsend opportunity and by their actions, they are hoping that a hidden hand or the Almighty will resuscitate their political careers.

Read the full article at the Sun. There’s something about MIC too.

Banning HINDRAF

October 8th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


How can you ban an organisation that is not registered? Obviously you can punish those who wear its emblems or symbols (quite hard to ban orange color clothing!). You can also arrest those known to be its leaders or spokesmen. Freeze the accounts of the key people. Shut down its websites. Probably stop gatherings, prayers, talks and functions held by the group. In the case of HINDRAF, it would mean that about 30 people will be arrested – including its various coordinators and Waytha’s wife.

What about “makkal sakthi”? Should the word be banned as well? Cars having “makkal sakthi” stickers stopped and driver fined? T-shirt wearers arrested?

This may force situation back to status quo – unhappy community that is unable to express itself. This unhappy will only burst again the next time, when another group of people rise to lead the community. So, ban HINDRAF. Later there will be HINDRAF 2. Ban that. After sometime, HINDRAF 3 and so on.

The Home Ministry may end up needing to build large depot to house everyone it arrests. I know many HINDRAF sympathizers (a gentler word compared to supporters or members) compared to anti-HINDRAF Indians. I guess the ratio is like 65-35 among my circle of contacts. Then, you have to consider those who symphatizers who are non-Indians. Would you arrest anyone who speaks in favor of HINDRAF? That would be a very long list indeed – PAS leader, opposition MPs, JIBA president, Samy Vellu, MHS president, Gerakan chief, bloggers, NGOs, Bar Council people, lawyers, wah…very long list.

Secretary-general Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Mohd Yusof said as Hindraf was not a registered organisation, the ministry’s legal unit would look at the technicality of disbanding the group.

He said Hindraf had on many occasions created unrest within the community, citing the recent gate-crashing of the prime minister and cabinet’s Hari Raya open house as an example.

Abdul Aziz said Hindraf’s insolence could not be tolerated as it had angered many, especially Muslims who felt Hindraf had marred the spirit of the Hari Raya.

He also said the police were looking into who were behind the incident. Speaking to the New Straits Times from Singapore, Abdul Aziz was also bemused at reports that Hindraf had lodged a police report against Home Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar and Malay daily Utusan Malaysia, for allegedly hurting the feelings of Hindraf members in a news report. He said if the report had been made under Hindraf’s name, it would be ridiculous as the group was not even a formal entity.

MP Kapar Manikavasagam faces RM10 million suit

October 7th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Well, looks like MP for Kapar, Manikavasagam has a bigger problem on his hands. Remember his statements on police officer Kumaran, regarding death of actress Sujatha?Kumaran made a civil suit against Manikavasagam for RM10 million. He claimed that on Aug 2 last year, Manikasavagam issued a press
statement containing defamatory and false allegations which had caused serious damage to his credibility as a senior police officer.

The high court (presided by judge Datuk Abdul Wahab Patail) dismissed  Manikasavagam’s appeal to set aside the deputy registrar’s decision rejecting his application to strike out the suit.

If Manikavasagam loses the case, a by-election is imminent.