Archive for the ‘Indian’ category

Forced to plead guilty or not?

September 22nd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


The Rm1000 fine each for the 27 accused who pleaded guilty to unlawful assembly during HINDRAF rally has taken a new twist. Waytha claims that the trial of the balance 27 people which will run for two months continuously is an injustice and will cause the accused to lose their jobs:

The movement’s leader in exile P Waytha Moorthy told a press conference in Sentul, Kuala Lumpur via video conferencing, that the 27 individuals would lose their jobs during the two-month hearing.

“This is a great injustice to them. They are bound to lose their jobs, face severe financial crisis and their families would suffer,” said Waytha Moorthy who is in self-imposed exile in England.

The 27 are mostly odd-job workers and labourers who were among 54 individuals jointly charged for participating in an illegal assembly on Nov 11 last year in Kuala Lumpur.

He says that those who pleaded guilty did so out of fear since a prolonged trial period will affect them financially.

Naturally, the lawyer for the accused was incensed after Waytha’s comments. N Sivananthan denied the accusations and condemned Waytha:

In a statement today, their lawyer N Sivananthan denied the allegation and called on all quarters to stop politicising the issue.

He also took a swipe at the London-based Waythamoorthy, saying that he found the latter’s remarks “offensive and ignorant.”

Sivananthan said that the unjust treatment allegation was being equated to the fact that the court had given priority and its time to the trial of the said matter.

“I would like to categorically deny this (the unjust treatment allegation). The offence on which the guilty plea was taken carries a maximum two years’ imprisonment or fine (any amount) or a combination of both.

“Not only did the court only impose a RM1,000 fine, a time period of two months was also allowed for payment of the same with a proviso to extend the period to six months on a case-by-case basis,” he said.

“As a lawyer, I can confidently say that my clients have been treated justly and I find the comments made by Wathyamoorthy (left) from his refuge in London not only offensive but also ignorant.

“The admission of guilt was on the basis that my clients accepted the fact that laws need to be followed and that a failure to disperse when told to do so amounts to a breach of that law,” he added.

Meanwhile, Surendran, the lawyer for Hindraf 5 also chipped in, supporting Waytha:

Hindraf legal advisor N Surendran said that initially, the trial was supposed to last two weeks but was somehow extended to two full months.

Surendran said he has spoken to some of those who had pleaded guilty and claimed that many of them took the plea to avoid being absent from work and be subsequently axed.

“You can see here the enormity of the injustice. We have 27 people who have been forced to plead guilty because of a miscarriage of justice,” he said.

Surendran also urged the attorney-general and the government to drop charges against 27 individuals who he said were exercising their democratic right to assemble peacefully.

This was also rebutted by Sivananthan:

…Sivananthan noted that the comments made by Surendran are rather suspect since none of his clients had indicated that they were being “forced” to plead guilty.

“I don’t think he quite understands the concept of miscarriage of justice. The difference here is that my legal team and I are acting only as lawyers and not politicians whilst the individuals who are making these allegations are trying to dramatise this issue for reasons best known to them.
“I would therefore be grateful if the plea of guilt is not politicised by all parties concerned.”

So, which is which? As a lawyer, would you advise your client to plead guilty to avoid more problems and possible stiffer sentences? As a client, would you expect your lawyer to offer the best advice and as many options as possible to you?

Obviously its strange that this case was given much time and fast-tracked, but it can be taken either way – as a concern for the issue or to pressure the accused.

On the other hand, a sum of RM1000, which can be paid in installments is a good deal for the accused. So, on the smaller, individual scale, the accused can leave all this mess behind and move on in life. On a larger scale, the admission of guilt can be used to further condemn Hindraf, denounce the rally, and to try sway the community back to its original position.

YSS Plus 8 programme

September 22nd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


From the NST:

KUALA LUMPUR: An MIC effort to help academically-weak and problematic Indian secondary students has paid off.

The MIC-run Yayasan Strategic Social’s family development unit head K.A. Gunah said the party’s Plus-8 programme had proven to be a resounding success by helping 5,100 students in 74 secondary schools.

He said thanks to the year-long programme which ended in July, these students had a better future now and did not need to go the way of some other children from the community who could not escape the clutches of social ills such as crime.

He said the key to the programme’s success was in its ability to bring children and parents together to work as a family unit and motivate the children to improve themselves.

“Besides ironing out students’ problems, which were mainly centred around poor parent-child relationships, the programme has put in place an effective network for the students, their teachers and YSS.”

Funded by the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry and supported by the Education Ministry, the programme featured workshops on character building, human values and uncovering of skills for students.

“We then hold two workshops for parents on the subject of parent-child interaction and relationships and the need for self-discipline and sacrifice. The programme ends with a two-day, one-night camp for the students and their parents.

“We are now keying in the student data and feedback on the programme to prepare a report for the two ministries. With this done, we hope to launch the second round of Plus-8 programmes.”

Gunah, who is the coordinator for the programme in Johor and Malacca, said YSS ran them jointly with Indian-based NGOs.

YSS got the help of teachers to identify target groups of 50 students in schools in eight states to attend a total of 812 Plus-8 programmes.

He said the programme was the brainchild of party president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu, who felt that rising social ills among Indian youth had to be nipped in the bud by solving the problem of delinquency.

During the programme, Gunah said he came across sad cases of how students had got into trouble because of parental neglect.

“A boy who had been punished 22 times in 10 months for disciplinary problems, including bringing pornographic VCDs to school, told us his father had left the family.

“His mother was away at work until late at night and he had to fend for himself, including cooking and washing his own clothes.”

He said the girls were often led astray by youths or men outside the school environment.

“Most of them point to nagging mothers and absent fathers and the fact that there was no one to listen to them.”

Release Hindraf 5 says BN Youth and MIC

September 22nd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


If the readers can recall back to the time near general elections, few of the BN component parties – MIC, MCA, Gerakan, and PPP were clamoring for release of HINDRAF 5 ISA detainees – since this was a sore point among the Indian community. MIC in particular had a horrendous time during the elections. Now, nowhere did we hear the “big brother” of BN saying that the detainees should be released.

So, imagine my surprise when today’s Star reported:

Barisan Nasional youth leaders plan to meet Home Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar over the call for the release of the five leaders of the Hindu Rights Action Force.

People’s Progressive Party Youth chief T. Murugiah said the Youth leaders from Umno, Gerakan, MIC and MCA had already agreed in principle to join the group which he would lead.

Can’t believe it la!

At least Samy Vellu is being direct in saying that by releasing the 5 fella, BN will win back some voters (and in the course save MIC’s hind). Let’s read some of Samy Vellu’s quotes on the second round of call by MIC to release the detainees:

It’s about time that they are released as they pose no danger to the security of the country.

“The government should not hold them any longer as it will prolong the Indian community’s ill-feelings towards the government,”

They only voiced out the problems and the frustrations of the Indian community.

“Similarly, the MIC has also been doing the same for the past few decades … so why detain them any longer?”

Err…that means MIC fellas also should have been in ISA for decades? Please la, don’t insult HINDRAF by comparing with MIC. Wait till rebranding finishes and people can see some improvement before attempting to do so.

Samy Vellu said many Barisan Nasional “die-hards” among the Indian community had voted for the opposition in the last general election as they felt that the five Hindraf leaders had been detained unjustly.

“It is not because they loved the opposition or they wanted a change but rather they vented their anger on the (BN) government,” he said.

He said the BN could regain their support if the five Hindraf leaders were released.

Right, the reason to release them is to gain more votes. So that the champion of the community can go around claiming that they were released due to his effort? Hopefully not.

I had asked the prime minister to release them on several occasions and also raised the matter at two BN Supreme Council meetings.

Now, this is very interesting. Note that Samy deftly avoided telling what was PM’s response to his request. Makes us all think. Did Samy Vellu really ask? Was the PM’s reply unmentionable? 🙂

Inter-race relations council

September 19th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Samy Vellu proposes that an inter-race relations council is set up, consisting of various political parties and religious and cultural organisations.The council can discuss on issues concerning religion, language, culture and racial sensitivities.

The MIc also urges the authorities to arrest anyone who raises issues related to religion and race that can trigger racial problems.

The government must act fast on these people, party president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu told reporters after chairing a meeting of the MIC’s central working committee today.

Does that mean Ahmad Ismail, Utusan columnist Zaini, and the “enemy” of MIC – Khir Toyo? 😉

MIC reps wont jump ship

September 19th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


MIC’s Saravanan claims that MIC representatives (Human Resources Minister Dr S Subramaniam (Segamat), Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department SK Devamany (Cameron Highlands) and Deputy Federal Territories Minister Saravanan (Tapah)-himself) would not cross over to Pakatan Rakyat following statement by Perak PAS commissioner Ahmad Awang as saying that several MPs from the MIC and MCA would join Pakatan soon.

“Switching camps has never crossed the minds of any MIC MPs. We will not cross over to the opposition. We are staying put and no matter what happens, we will be with BN in good as well as bad times.

“I have spoken to the other two MPs and they have denied that the thought had even crossed their minds,” he was quoted as saying in Bernama today.