Archive for the ‘Indian’ category

Stateless Indians story again

September 24th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


The issue of Indians without proper identifications to prove their citizenship is resurfacing again. If one remembers correctly, MIC Youth are actively helping in settling problems related to birth certificate, identity cards, and citizenship. MIC’s Mohan have been handling this problem for more than 7 years, but his success rate is only between 6 and 7 percent (The Star).

Its current national coordinator, Mohan was quoted as saying in NST that a special unit is created to help reduce red tape to solve the stateless issue of 30,000 Indians (it was quoted as 20,000 in The Star). MIC is overwhelmed with the cases so far and have its hand fulls with about 500 cases being investigated.

It seems that those cases that appear in the media are fast-tracked, while others have to wait for a long time (well, don’t we know that!):

“The irony is that whenever we highlight individual cases in the media, NRD’s response in solving the cases is fast.

“People who go through the normal process of applying to the NRD are made to wait for decades.
“Thus, the urgent need to set up a special unit to handle these cases,” added Mohan.

He cited the case of A. Sakthivel, 28, the offspring of a Malaysian father and Indian mother, who needs urgent help as the Immigration Department had ordered him to leave Malaysia by Oct 2.

Sakthivel was born in India but his late father, M. Annamalai, failed to register his birth with the Malaysian High Commission there.

While his four siblings are Malaysian citizens, unemployed Sakthivel had been in the country on a student passport, which his father had to renew annually.

“After my father’s death in 2001, my passport was not renewed and on Sept 3, when I went to the Immigration Department, I was given a month to leave the country,” Sakthivel said. “I’m at a loss as my family is here and I have no one in India.”

Another case encountered by MIC:

College student N. Kavitha, 24, carries a red identity card although her biological mother and father were Malaysians.

For some reason, the NRD omitted the names and IC numbers of her biological parents in her birth certificate (BC), printing the particulars at the back of the document instead.

“When my adoptive parents applied for my IC, I was given a red IC as the NRD refused to acknowledge the details of my biological parents printed at the back of my BC,” she said.

“I could not get a place in a public university or get a scholarship although I’m now being raised by my widowed mother.”

Third case:

Housewife Margaret Perinayaga, 52, who got a red IC because her mother’s IC number was not entered in her BC, is still waiting for an answer to her appeal for a blue IC from the NRD. According to the Star:

My three children are overseas but I am unable to visit them as I fear my application for citizenship will be rescinded,” she said, adding that her siblings had been issued with MyKad.

Even  in May this year, MIC through Mohan highlighted a case of two brothers who struggled NINE years for their MyKad.

I still remember plans to have special task forces and what nots, but after general elections, all quiet. Did the cabinet committee on Indian Community discuss about stateless issue as well?

Its disheartening to know that a party represented in the government are facing such problems. One shudders to think what the common person will face. If there’s any luck of highlighting your problem on TV, then solution may be available. If not, you may have to resort to corruptive means to solve your problems.

I’m interested to know if any PR representatives or politicians (especially in PR-led states) have recorded any success stories in the last 6 months relating to birth certificate, identity card, or citizenship issues. MIC’s Mohan is frank to admit that the success rate is very low, so we have to see how the “other side” has been doing in this short period.

If the PR representatives also respond in the negative (no or less success stories), it can mean:

1. not many Indians approached them (PR reps)
2. regardless of which side of the fence you are (PR or MIC), as an Indian, you carry no weight in the NRD offices.
3. The NRD staff (those involved) are not bothered to solve this problem.

PM to consider on releasing Hindraf 5

September 23rd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


As Samy Vellu mentioned earlier, he planned to meet PM and so he did. Malaysiakini reports that together with Dr S.Subramaniam, they tried to convince PM for 30 minutes to release the Hindraf 5. Prime Minister Badawi apparently told them that he will consider their appeal. Quoting Samy Vellu:

The prime minister promised to discuss the matter with Home Minister (Syed Hamid Albar) and come to a decision.

He said Abdullah told him that he will “study the situation and recommend appropriate action.

“We have full faith and trust in the prime minister, and we believe that he will do something (positive) on this matter,” he added.

Among the arguments put forward by Samy were:

1. Its been nine months since the five were detained (actually its 10 over months).
2. Some of them need medical attention
3. Their families have suffered and the detainees should be allowed to return home to look after their families
4. They pose no danger to the security of the country
5. By releasing them, it would “reduce the tension” within the Indian community.

I guess this is in addition to the original reason, which is to win back the support of the community.

“I am also being heavily pressured by MIC leaders and members to secure their release. Today, I have spoken to the prime minister and I can assure the MIC members that something good will prevail,” he said.

Next step is to raise the matter again in the BN supreme council meeting says Samy.

“We will seek the backing of all the BN leaders to secure their release,” he added.

If successful, this will be feather in the cap for MIC and Samy Vellu, and surely a certain percentage of the community will sway back to MIC. Or it could be that the community is just making use of MIC and Samy Vellu as they have the means to reach the government of the moment. Whatever it is, let’s not jump the gun. the PM have other pressing matters at hand, namely his political survival, to worry about the Indian community, MIC, and least of all, HINDRAF.

Let’s hope that this Deepavali will see the children happily in the arms of their fathers. But RPK have to sit it out alone, I guess.

CMIO also calls for release of Hindraf 5

September 23rd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


CMIO was created in March, post general elections. The coalition was supposed to be a watchdog to monitor all the elected representatives and “report” back to the community. Still waiting for their report. Interestingly, they also urged the Indian community to stop relying on MIC. But going by Samy Vellu’s words, the community is flocking back to MIC.

Now, they are echoing MIC in asking for release of the Hindraf 5:

The Coalition of Malaysian Indian NGOs today urged Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to release the five Hindraf leaders held under the Internal Security Act.

Chairperson of the coalition A Vaithilingam said that it was pointless to continue to hold the five as “causes and grievances brought up by Hindraf have been admitted by almost all the BN officials over the past few months”.

“We further request the prime minister to have an open mind and open up dialogue with Hindraf as their release and subsequent interest in dialogue will help the government win back the confidence of the Indian community,” he said in a statement.

He said that the government must be held responsible for the outburst of emotions of the Indian community, and Hindraf members in particular.

“It has led to the frustration and lack of confidence in the nation’s leaders by all Malaysians,” he said.

Indians returning to MIC?

September 22nd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


So claims its president, Samy Vellu. That is indeed good news for MIC and Samy.

Samy says that those voters who abandoned MIC during the elections are turning back to the party. “Hundreds of people” are visiting the party offices everyday, knowing that only MIC could help them.

Quoting some statistics from unknown sources, Samy said that 50% of the community rejected MIC in the last election.

According to him, the community realised that only a close relationship with th Federal Government through the MIC can improve the community’s livelihood.

They admit to having been confused and in disarray, that they were influenced into voting for the Opposition but I tell them that it does not matter.

When asked why they had come back looking for us, their answer was that the MIC has an administration, offices and an experienced leadership, and has continued looking after the people despite having lost in the elections.

This is the reason why they are still interested in forging a relationship with the MIC.

Its good that MIC did not give up hope, and still trying to win over the community. They had to eat the humble pie and move on with times. Yes, the MIC machineries are in place, but need to be fine-tuned or even overhauled to maximize its potential. Its time to look at the community as equal partners, rather than a meekly wife.

I hope MIC won’t be trapped again in false sense of security, just like in the elections time. They were pretty confident, but ended up in the losing end. The community can make use of all MIC facilities and network, but may very well ditch MIC when it matters most. This is something that needs to be understood. Just like when MIC played out the community at times, the community also can strike down MIC with vengeance.

By the way, do you really believe what he says?

HINDRAF to reimburse the RM1000 fine

September 22nd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


PRESS STATEMENT

RE: HINDRAF WOULD UNDERTAKE TO PAY AND REIMBURSE THE RM1000 FINE PAID OR OWED BY ITS SUPPORTERS.

HINDRAF wishes to state that it would reimburse each and every of the 27 supporters who pleaded guilty on 18th September 2008 for the RM1000 they have paid or owe to the court in fine imposed for their participation on the peaceful HINDRAF rally on November 25th last year.

For those who have already paid the fine and those still owing to the court kindly contact our Selangor Coordinator Mr. Selvam on 016 9673066 to help facilitate transfer of funds and fine payment into court.

However we would continue to welcome any form of donations to help ease the burden of the remaining 27 who would undergo 2 months continued hearing beginning 23rd September 2008.

Those willing to make contributions could make their donations to our nominated accounts as below:

Bank – Public Bank Berhad

Account Name – P. Taramaraju & Aridass Velu

(Joint saving account)

Account No – 4-5235622-34

Tel No : 019- 330 5197

012- 332 3490.

Thank you

P.Waytha Moorthy

Chairman

HINDRAF