Archive for the ‘Indian’ category

Samy fires first salvo via show cause letter to challenger

June 3rd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Looks like no time is wasted after Alex announced his intention to stand for presidency. Alex is issued with the show cause letter. Let the battle begin!


KLANG: Barely a day after he announced that he plans to run for the MIC presidency, Klang division chief Alex Thiagarasan received a show-cause letter for acting in a manner detrimental to the party yesterday. Thiagarasan said he had 14 days to explain to the party disciplinary committee why action should not be taken against him. He said at least seven branch chairmen had also received show-cause letters asking them to explain their reasons for supporting him.
The letter from the committee stated that a complaint had been received about an article in a Tamil daily on May 25, in which Thiagarasan had said party president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu had misappropriated Telekom shares allocated by the government, as well as government funds allocated for Tafe College and the Asian Institute of Medicine, Science and Technology.

The letter also noted that in an article in the New Straits Times, Thiagarasan had said Samy Vellu was not an asset to the MIC or Barisan Nasional. The committee also said it had received a complaint that Thiagarasan had not remitted all of the funds collected by the division for the new MIC headquarters building fund.

“This is typical of Samy Vellu. He gets rid of anyone who is a threat to his leadership,” Thiagarasan said. “This proves that nothing has changed in the MIC, despite its so-called re-branding exercise.”

On the money for the building fund, Thiagarasan said the division had unanimously agreed during its annual general meeting last month that it would be returned to all branch chairmen. So far RM30,000 of the RM37,000 collected had been returned. » Read more: Samy fires first salvo via show cause letter to challenger

NLFCS willing to transfer land for Tamil Schools sake

June 3rd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


I guess NLFCS is taking the first step to aid in conversion of partially-aided schools to full-aided status. Other plantation owners should follow suit. With the rising price of palm oil and rubber, surely a bit of corporate social responsibility is in order. Once converted, the government cannot simply wash its hands off these schools.

But why does it take NLFCS such a long time to come to this decision? Surprising that an Indian based cooperative was unable to do so earlier. Rather than spending RM5 million all this while, it could have given the land to government and helped out in other ways.


THE National Land Finance Cooperative Society (NLFCS) is willing to give land to eight Tamil schools if the Government fully supports the schools.

Tamil Nesan quoted its executive director Tan Sri K.R. Somasundram as saying that the board of directors had agreed to a proposal to transfer the land to the schools for the sake of the children’s education.

He said that currently the Government was only giving partial aid to Tamil schools as many were situated on private land.

He said it was the expectation of the Indian community that Tamil schools be fully-aided schools to enable the pupils to study in a conducive environment.

He said NLFCS had spent nearly RM5mil to maintain schools under its supervision.

source

Kapar temple status threatened by land owner

June 3rd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Well, in this instance, the authorities are not directly involved. The questions being raised is the inaction by the police on various reports made by the temple caretaker for last two years. Its related to the dubious manner of the land ownership transfer. Unfortunately, the temple lost the court case years ago, thus no option but to relocate. The caretaker had put in an application to set aside the ruling, but the owner is not bothered to wait. Perhaps the court should put up a restraining or stop-work kind of order. Then we can see if the police follow the court decision or not.

Until then, the police won’t be protecting the temple since court ruled otherwise. I’m sure in this instance, the police will follow the rule of the law and protect the owner. The only option is to provide proof of embezzlement or criminal action by the new owner. But even then, a recent landmark case involving land transfer shows that the “sale” or “transfer” is valid (even though invalid methods are used) and the buyer’s rights are protected. The actual owner (whose land title was transferred without their knowlege) lost their case. So, again I think legal avenue will be failure as well.

Since the owner is private (individual), he won’t be so charitable to allocate a plot for the temple. He won’t be standing for any election is not worried position and power. Only thing is that, if indeed he cheated in order to own the land, Amman will ensure he and his future generation pays many folds. That’s natural law.

Next option is political intervention – perhaps PR government will create much hassle until the new owner can’t do any development in the land. Or just buy the land and convert it into park. temple, school land etc. This would be a big challenge for new Kapar MP Manikavasagam. I’m sure Komala is waiting happily to seize the opportunity and hentam him.

They way I see it, only political or divine intervention can save the temple. Perhaps the owner will have a dream soon! 🙂

Kapar seems to be in the papers due to land issues nowadays.

MP Manikavasagam have written on his website about the issue. Photos are available at his Picasa site.


Kannan (Hindraf Coordinator) provides an account of the happenings (via email): » Read more: Kapar temple status threatened by land owner

Fight for presidency

June 2nd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


After condemning his boss, and subsequently making a police report on Samy, Alex ups the ante by openly declaring his intention to challenge the president for the throne.

However, history has shown that challengers disappear from politics, except Dato Subra and Jumbo Maniam who are still around. Alex will try to run on the anti-Samy wave and hope to cause an upset. Or possibly try to get Subra to come out and go for it. I don’t forsee any non-elected MPs bar Dato Subra having a sliver of chance against Samy.


KUALA LUMPUR: The race for the MIC party president has begun with MIC Klang division chief’s decision to contest.
P. Thiagarasan, 54, or better known as Alex Thiagarasan, told the New Straits Times yesterday that he was vying for the post held for the past 29 years by Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu.

“I think that I’m worthy of the president’s post. But, if there is a better candidate, then I would make way for the person. I will instead vie for the deputy or vice-president’s post,” he said.

Thiagarasan, who unsuccessfully contested a vice-president’s post in the last party election, also called for abolishing the quota system of getting nominations from at least 300 branch chiefs to make a bid for the party’s presidency.

He said there must be a concerted attempt to unseat Samy Vellu if he had not gone by the next election, which was not due until next March.
Thiagarasan, who was formerly a People’s Progressive Party Selangor chief in 1997, left with nearly 24,000 members and joined the MIC two years later following a dispute with PPP president Datuk M. Kayveas.

Among those who have contested against Samy Vellu for the party’s presidency include Y. Thomas, former MIC deputy president Datuk S. Subramaniam, Kapar division chairman S. Subramaniam, better known as Jumbo Maniam and former Lobak branch chairman R. Vellasamy.

source

Many young people eager to join MIC

June 2nd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


This is indeed surprising! Seldom people will joining a losing group. I mean, let’s face it. No matter how we cut it, MIC lost big time. Everyone admits it – MIC leaders, partymen, members, man in the street, opposition fellas, media, political experts and teh tarik seller as well. So, something must be seriously off-tangent if people are eager to join the party. What are the pull factors that attract these young people (definition of young according to Samy / MIC ?) or the push factors that cause them to inch towards MIC?

If its true, then good for MIC. Its rebranding may seem to be working. However, if it is not (and we would be foolish to trust Samy the politicians’s words), hmmm…who bothers anyway? Well, unless this is a ploy to create phantom members, fill up the defunct branches,and proclaim that MIC has the support of the community. Not so difficult to pull off. If many Indians are still members of MIC Teluk Kemang, surely Sothinathan would have lost by a slimmer margin, right? 🙂

Which brings us to the point – you can have 5 million members, but it does not guarantee you electoral wins.  First, your members must be registered as voters. MIC did mention that about 10% of members only were registered as voters. Secondly, those voters must be convinced to vote for the coalition. People can jump ship as easy as flipping through Astro channel nowadays. Party loyalism has gone down the drain, especially when the party actually doesn’t seem to do much.


BUTTERWORTH: MIC will revive between 300 and 400 branches nationwide to increase its membership.
Its president, Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu, said new leaders would take over these branches.”The leadership of the closed branches will not be given to the old chairmen as they have not done anything to revive them.

“Our plan is to recruit about 50,000 new members, especially the young, before the end of this year,” he said before opening the state MIC’s 62nd annual delegates convention at Dewan Sree Mariamman here yesterday.

He said his tour around the country to attend state delegates’ conventions showed more young people were interested in joining the party.  Their coming in will give us a new lease of life.”

With its rebranding, he said, the party would introduce a rating system for branches where programmes carried out by branches and their chairmen would be evaluated to determine whether their performances lived up to the aspirations of the party.

“We will have several categories under the system: the extraordinary branches, the performing branches, the below average performing branches and the inactive branches.

“We will determine the parameters and criteria of the system,” he said.

He added the party would also introduce a people’s satisfaction index to gather feedback from the grassroots on the rebranding exercise.

He said the rebranding would begin right after the party’s general assembly in Kuala Lumpur on July 12. More than 1,600 delegates will attend the assembly.

source


BUTTERWORTH: MIC branches nationwide will soon be accorded performance ratings under the party’s rebranding exercise, says party president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu.

He said there were four categories in the rating system to evaluate the effectiveness of each branch in delivering the party’s aspirations and promises.

“The system will help the branches improve their performance and delivery to the people,” he told reporters at the Penang MIC convention held at Dewan Sree Mariamman yesterday.

The four categories are P1: Extraordinary; P2: Performing; P3: Below-average and P4: Inactive.

In addition to the rating system, a “People Satisfaction Index” (PSI) will be introduced in July to help gather feedback from the grassroots.  “The index will help us gauge people’s reaction and satisfaction towards our rebranding exercise.

“The PSI can also be used to evaluate the performance of branch leaders and branches. A form will be distributed to the public, especially MIC members, to gather feedback,” he explained, adding that feedback would be evaluated every six months.

Part of the re-branding effort would also see 3,600 branch leaders being sent for 36 courses, to update themselves.  “They will be briefed on the party’s new style, and how to increase delivery to the people and make the party more dynamic.

“MIC is now reviving between 300 and 400 defunct branches with new leaders,” he said.

Samy Vellu added that the party aimed to recruit 50,000 youth members this year as part of efforts to inject new blood into the party.  When queried, Samy Vellu said many young people were eager to join the party.   “I am very happy to note that many of them want to work (for the party) but I’ve told them to hold on and let us finish with the rebranding exercise first,” he said.

source