Archive for the ‘Indian’ category

Minnal FM interview with Senator Murugiah

August 2nd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


I managed to hear about 20 minutes of the recorded interview of Senator T.Murugiah (PPP) who is a Deputy Minister in Prime Minister’s Department. It was between 2 and 3pm on Minnal FM.

His interview was very candid and off the cuff. I’ve can’t remember other previous interviewees in the slot (like Saravanan and S.Subramaniam) talking like that.

Among the things he said:

1. He managed to settle SJKT Ladang Kulai Besar’s land title issue in just 6 days. The PIBG chairman called to thank him. It was dangling without solution for last 10 years.

2. He is in-charge of 5 departments under Prime Minister’s Department. Among them is the Biro Pengaduan Awam (Public Complaints Bureau) or BPA. He said all problems will receive personal attention from him. He urged Indians to put forth their complaints on about any public service problems to the agency. He said so far, after a publicity to the Indian community, most complaints that came in are on Tamil schools. He said PM personally told him to improve the BPA. BPA is at http://www.bpa.jpm.my and the public can contact them via telephone, letter, fax, and email.

3. He said not many Indian applicants for government jobs. He asked all candidates to forward a copy to him personally (to his office) so that he can track the application with SPA. He said many candidates don’t turn up for interview or are unprepared. He is planning to create a briefing team to help candidates to prepare for interview.

4. He touched on Tamil School Foundation initiative that he started. He said we should be more like the Chinese community who are using funds to support their schools. He said that if one person contributed RM10, it will be in millions since there are more than a million Indians. The money can be used for extra classes, study trips for students, seminars, and even support those who have financial problem via scholarships. He said Tamil schools are the soul of the community and it is very important to maintain the schools. He said more people should send their children to Tamil schools.

5. He said he is not after name and fame. Those who cheat others and live on others suffering won’t be happy. He said he don’t even own a house after being taken away from him (not sure what that means).

Prof Ramasamy rebuts yet again

August 2nd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


We are seeing a repeating pattern here. Prof Ramasamy or the state government’s handling of Indians is condemned by the certain Indian groups, and he rebuts. First time was in April, then June, and now in July.

This time, Prof says that the claims of “Penang Indians sidelined” are untrue (refer Malaysiakini). He gives the following reasons:

1. it is unfair to expect drastic improvements to the lot of ethnic Indians less than five months after the March 8 election.

2. Within his own parliamentary constituency of Batu Kawan, Ramasamy said
Indians were appointed to head five village security and development
committees (JKKK).

“This had never happened under the
Barisan Nasional in Penang. In the last (Gerakan-led) state government,
only one Indian had been appointed to head a JKKK.

3. The DAP-led Penang government has also ensured Indian representation in
the state executive council as well as city and municipal councils.

4. awarding of land to two Tamil schools, two Hindu temples and groups of goat and cattle breeders. (Which schools and temples?)

5. A state-level committee was also set up to look into the plight of Tamil schools.

6. youth groups have been established to alleviate the problems faced by the Indian poor.

The reason Prof Ramasamy mentioned the above is because of recent complaints by HINDRAF, Pemaswa, and HAN on the “indifferent attittude of Pakatan Rakyat governments” in the three states of Penang, Perak, and Selangor.

The Prof also ups the ante by saying that the “small disgruntled group” is unhappy because these people failed to secure their own appointment as local councillors and members of a certain state religious body.

“We
can accept criticisms, but not mere attempts to discredit the Pakatan
governments. Why don’t they come and meet the state government
representatives to raise these issues?” he asked.

Prof Ramasamy also rejected calls for a special state Indian council as requested by the group. He repeats that Unlike Barisan Nasional, Pakatan Rakyat is not
merely a coalition of parties that represent exclusively the various
ethnic communities.

“I’m helping the Chinese and Malay communities as well. I’ve given financial aid for suraus
and Chinese temples. If they want state Indian councils, then should we
also set up state Malay councils? What about state Chinese councils?
What about state councils for Orang Asli?

“This is not the Pakatan formula. We are a multi-racial coalition and we work for all races,” he stressed.


Well, I’m interested to know, for a start, why the local council cancelled the land for SJKT Azad? Perhaps the good Prof can help to investigate or get his Education Exco to do it.

50000 youths wanted for MIC

August 2nd, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


MIC Youth is planning to register 50,000 youths as its members by year end, meaning in 5 months’ time.Update: The Star says 50,00 youths by next year June.

So, those interested to bring a change in MIC (at least MIC Youth) can try your luck.

How many RM3 millions for Indians?

July 31st, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Today, Star reported that TEKUN has allocated RM3 million for young Indians (reproduced at the end).

The Government has allocated RM3 mil to provide financial aid to young Indian entrepreneurs, MIC president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu said.

He said that assistance would be channelled through Tekun Nasional, a body under the Ministry of Entrepreneur Development and Cooperatives and the MIC-owned Social Strategic Foundation (YSS).

On 4th June this year, Samy Vellu mentioned that TEKUN had allocated RM3 million as well. Is it the same RM3 million? At that time only 10 out of 300 students from INSKEN had applied for it.

If we go back to 3rd March this year, RM3 million is part of a special allocation by Economic Planning Unit, Prime Minister’s department. This RM3 million had been used as a revolving micro loan fund with Yayasan Tekun. I didn’t say that, Samy Vellu did.

In December 2007, Samy says this: “the Government provided business-training programs to Indian youths through the National Entrepreneur Skills institute while RM3mil has been allocated for business loans for Indians through the Tekun foundation”.

The RM3 million was first mentioned in July 2007 – “The government will also provide a special loan fund totalling RM3 million through Yayasan Tekun for 500 Indian youths to obtain micro business loans”. Yup, by Samy Vellu.

Hmmm…that’s quite a number of “RM3 millions”. Hope they are not the same. If not, it is the same RM3 million being rerun for last one year. But if not many applied, then it doesn’t make much difference does it?

According to TEKUN head Abdul Rahim, Tekun, which was set up in 1998, has already disbursed RM90 mil to bumiputras to develop their business and was expanding it to provide assistance to the Indian youths. He said a decision of the applications would be made within 14 days if all the documents were in order, compared to the previous period of three months.

Tekun would request additional allocation from the government if the RM3 mil allocation was inadequate.

The rest of the articles as follows:

Speaking to reporters after a briefing by Tekun managing director Datuk Abdul Rahim Hassan here Thursday, he said loans of RM10,000 each had been approved for three applications to develop their businesses so far.Samy Vellu said Indians below 40 should use the opportunity to seek the financial assistance from Tekun to upgrade their businesses.

“No one should come and say that the government has not done anything for the Indian community. There are opportunities available,” he said.

Samy Vellu said the MIC and YSS would also organise workshops in the respective states to disseminate the information on Tekun to the youths over the next two months.

IPF under control says Pandithan’s wife

July 31st, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Pandithan’s widow did hold the press conference as told earlier. Surprisingly, she said that:

I was elected as party president earlier this year by the party’s supreme council.

I thought there was supposed to be an AGM to confirm her position, but Jayashree said the general assembly will be held later.

Whatever. Anyway, Puan Sri Jayashree says that she’s in full control of the party. In her visit to several states, the party’s 380,000 members had pledged their loyalty and support to the leadership.

I’m determined to carry on focusing on eradicating poverty, solving welfare and health issues and creating an educated Indian society.

She blames it on IPF Bersatu, a splinter party which it seems is not officially registered. That’s why there’s a one million ringgit suit on the group.

She said a splinter group which had left the party years ago had been attacking her leadership to tarnish the name and image of the party. “This group, claiming to be leaders of IPF Bersatu, has been campaigning against us nationwide, saying it is the actual and legitimate IPF. “They have been deceiving the people and confusing everyone by using our party’s name, flag, letterhead and registration number.”

She said IPF’s checks with the Registrar of Societies showed that IPF Bersatu was never registered as a party or society and the group had been functioning under IPF’s name claiming to be its promoters.

“This is a theft involving the party’s name and symbols and neither Pandithan nor I have appointed anyone to be our promoters.”

She said the group’s activities had started before Pandithan died, adding that when he fell sick the group started tarnishing his name.

“Although Pandithan was upset, he did not want to take action against them as they were former party members and had taken part in the party’s struggle in the early days.

“But it is unfortunate that they continue to damage our name and reputation even after Pandithan’s death, giving us no option but to take legal action.”

IPF has filed a RM1 million suit against IPF Bersatu for using its name, logo and registration number.

IPF Bersatu is headed by former IPF secretary-general K. Panjamurti.

As for IPF’s future plan, it is still yearning to join BN and has asked to meet PM in September.