Archive for the ‘Indian’ category

MIC should ask for relocation not merging of Tamil schools

July 20th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


While MIC is in 7th heaven over the proposed plans to improve the Indian community, I read with interest the news about a Chinese school being relocated from an under-enrolled location in Perak to a very urban Damansara, next January. The school, SJK (C) Chung Hua Ladang Serapoh, located in Parit, will be set up at the original location of SJK (C) Damansara in Section 17, itself a contentious issue since the school was relocated to Tropicana, Damansara in 2001. About 50 over students did not move to the new school, but instead studied in a temporary school in a temple nearby. Well, my focus is not on the Chinese schools issues, but the outcome – a school was relocated from another state due to under-enrollment. End result – number of Chinese schools not reduced.

I think this is the line that MIC and the community to should follow. Rather than accepting meekly the idea to merge schools (repeated in the MIC general assembly as well), MIC and the Education Ministry must do a study and identify areas that lack such schools. Then, relocate the schools to those places. With such move, a newer building will attract parents to send their kids to Tamil schools, since those that are around now usually leaves much to be desired.

By the way, while many of the changes in 9th Malaysian Plan review had figures provided, the part on Indian community were not. Not allocation was mentioned, so we still have to wait for a while.

No school because no birth certificate

July 18th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


The announcement that children with birth certificates can be enrolled in schools came in February. It was announced by Hishamuddin (and repeated by Deputy Prime Minister Najib) following cabinet decision:

I have instructed all schools to accept these children. I have asked the headmasters and teachers to put themselves in an accomodative position. “I do not want to hear any headmaster blocking or rejecting such applications

Students just have to get letter from village head or Village committee chairman, for example to get enrolled.

But, today’s Star highlights a case in Ipoh where children from a welfare home (note: registration status unknown) who are unable to attend school due to lack of birth certificate.

n_pg35tharsini.jpg
Caught in a bind: (From left) Tharsini, 10, N. Pandian, seven, S. Velan, 11, N. Roja, five and N. Dineshkumar, six, posing for journalists in Ipoh Thursday.

Her guardian (note: legal or not?) Babaji Indhu Adigalar (of the Arutperum Jothi Children’s Welfare Home) said that besides Tharsini, his four other charges aged between five and 11 years were also facing the same problem.

“I have been trying to enrol them into primary schools since 2004 but the children were turned away because they do not have birth certificates,” said the 60-year-old, adding that he had documents (note: acceptable documents?) proving the children were born in Malaysia.

Speaking to reporters from their home in Buntong here yesterday, Babaji said he thought his problems were over when the ministry made the announcement.

However, the children and I were again left disappointed when the schools that I approached refused to admit them as they claimed there had been no circular on the matter.

Babaji, who sought the assistance of Perak MIC (note: Why not Pakatan?), said the five children had been abandoned by their parents.

“Because of that, I face difficulty in getting them birth certificates,” he said, adding that attempts to get in touch with the children’s next-of-kin had failed. As a result, the children have only attended kindergarten.

State MIC chairman Datuk G. Rajoo said a check with the Education Department on Monday confirmed that such a circular had not been issued. “I urge the Ministry to do so fast as the children’s future is at stake,” he added.

Issue here: Outcome of decision made in February is not available. Delay of nearly 5 months.

Semenyih Estate workers plight

July 17th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


There was a interesting article in Star (Metro section) reproduced below on the plight of the Semenyih estate workers. There were some photos too. Thanks to Then for pointing out.

Few things I want to say:

1. Estate workers must think about owning a house and not be in comfort of living in quarters thinking its free for life. We can’t compare with Malay community who own lands. Thus estate workers have to put in triple or quadraple effort to own a house and provide education for children.

2. Some of the displaced workers, women especially, in Prang Besar and surrounding areas are now working as cleaners in Putrajaya. The maintenance companies hire these local people

3. I wonder who these people voted for, if they could vote.

BEFORE Putrajaya came into existence, there was the Prang Besar Estate.

While the country’s new federal administrative capital was still a design on the drawing board, hundreds of estate workers had toiled daily in Prang Besar. They tapped rubber and worked in the oil palm plantation, savouring the simple life as they knew it. The creation of Putrajaya opened a new chapter in the nation’s history but closed another. The dramatic change in the landscape from that of a rural estate to a modern city with towering structures best embodies the high price we pay for development.

It also acquainted us with the ugly term known as displacement.

According to statistics from the National Union of Plantation Workers (NUPW), the number of estates in Selangor dwindled from 150 in 1986 to 95 in 2006. Besides Putrajaya, former estates converted to mega development projects include Cyberjaya, the KL International Airport (KLIA), Bernam Valley and the Guthrie Corridor.

With Prang Besar Estate no longer in existence, a majority of the former estate workers were relocated to low-cost flats in Dengkil. The estate they had called home for decades was no more and the close community living is all but a fond memory now.

Rubber tapper Subramaniam Munusamy, 45, of Semenyih Estate, firmly believes that they should be compensated with permanent homes. “Semenyih has been my home for nearly three decades. Following the notice of termination of employment from the landowners five years ago, we were offered flats in Nilai,” he told StarMetro during a recent interview at the estate workers quarters. “But this means starting all over again. We have asked for low-cost houses in Semenyih in recognition of our blood, sweat and tears for a commodity which is fetching high prices in the world market,” Subramaniam said.

Since they stopped working for the Semenyih Estate, Subramaniam and his wife Anjalai Devi Chinalagan, 43, have been tapping rubber on a plot of land belonging to a smallholder for daily wages. Their combined monthly income is barely RM1,300. The couple, who have four children, said they could not retire for at least 20 more years. Like everyone else, they hope to enjoy the comforts of living in a house of their own in the near future. The struggle to gain a permanent roof over their heads began five years ago with little progress to show since.

For retirees like Mariayee Palaniappa, 59, and Munichy Muniandy, 53, their meagre incomes come from picking flowers for which they are paid RM8 per tin.

Estate resident Devi Ganie, 30, meanwhile, takes on odd jobs, leaving her five-year-old son B. Mathialagan in the care of neighbours.

Life is hard but the women share some little joy and comfort through communal living.

Back when it was a functioning estate, the Semenyih Estate was home to 100 Indian families. There are only 16 families left now. The others have left to seek their fortunes elsewhere after obtaining their dues from the landowners.

Meanwhile, a looming threat of displacement currently hangs over the Dunedin Estate workers. Dunedin, located 3km from Semenyih town, is still functioning as an oil palm plantation and, like the Semenyih Estate, was established around a century ago.

According to plantation worker Arumugam Subramaniam, 51, and his wife Sarojini Paramasivam, 44, there is talk of the plantation being sold for development but they have yet to receive any notice from the landowners. “There used to be over 100 families here but only a fraction are left now since the rumours began. If the landowners want us to move, we hope to be provided with houses nearby,” Arumugam said.

“As far as income goes, we are paid daily wages, base pay, cost of living allowance (Cola) and other allowances. It is hard to make sense of the pay slip but basically, my wife and I jointly earn around RM1,250 a month,” he said. “In view of the surge in commodity prices and inflation, the Malaysian Agricultural Producers Association (Mapa) should increase the Cola while the NUPW should push for a higher minimum wage,” he said.

Retiree Baby Angamuthu, 57, in reminiscing how life in the estate was 50 years ago, said that little had changed in the estate community all these years. “We are still living in deplorable conditions although oil palm is a priceless commodity. Some of the quarters are infested with termites, the drainage system is poor and dengue is a constant threat,” she said, cuddling her seven-month-old grandson Thinakaran Murugan.

At present, the future looks bleak for the young generation but parents like Subramaniam and Arumugam realize the importance of education and have sent their children to school. They hope that their children, armed with an education, could leave the estates to work, and break the cycle of poverty.

Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM) estate liaison officer Ramalingam Thirumalai can identify with the estate workers struggle concerning displacement. “We at the Sungai Rinching Estate fought for 10 years for our houses. The struggle was long and difficult but we emerged victorious and we also realised that it was better to stand together,” he said.

There is strength in numbers which is why PSM secretary-general and Kajang Municipal councillor S. Arutchelvan wants to mobilise together the estate workers of Semenyih, Dunedin, Bangi and Glengowrie to demand for housing. “Breaking up the communities of estate workers leads to a negative impact on their psyche as they already feel neglected and cast aside,” Arutchelvan said. “With a proper area set aside for housing, displace estate workers can ask for a school, hall and places of worship,” he said.

During his recent visits to the estates, Selangor health, plantation workers and caring government committee chairman Dr Xavier Jeyakumar gave the landowners a timely reminder. Land status conversion for estates with 40ha and above will only be approved if the landowners agree to provide housing for displaced estate workers. This is the condition imposed by the state government,” Xavier said. At present, there are 113 estates in Selangor seeking land status conversion. Xavier also urged estate owners to give preference and priority to locals when hiring workers and not only employ foreigners.

HINDRAF wants to meet PM

July 17th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


This is the second attempt by HINDRAF, the first attempt made after the November 25 rally. It goes without saying that their attempt failed. I doubt it will succeed this time as well. What more with Waytha facing ISA if he returns and Uthaya already in ISA detention.The call was made by Waythamoorthy via an press statement. According to him, Badawi should have a dialogue with leaders of the Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf) if he is sincere in his efforts to improve the lives of the Indian community in the country. The dialogue should be a closed-door affair and on a one-to-one basis between Abdullah and,
either himself or detained Hindraf legal adviser, P Uthayakumar. He told Malaysiakini via telephone that:

If the prime minister and his government are sincere and honest in wanting to resolve all outstanding issues on the political and socio-economic status of Malaysian Indians, I am prepared to return for the dialogue session. I am prepared to return to Malaysia to have a dialogue with the prime minister. But only the prime minister and not any other political leader.

However, Waythamoorthy is convinced that Abdullah would detain him under the Internal Security Act if he returned to attend the dialogue. (that goes without saying!)

Waythamoorthy called for the dialogue with Abdullah because the prime minister’s office was the “rightful authority” in the country to resolve the problems facing the Indians.

He also said that HINDRAF will focus on its 18 point memorandum during the discussion.

Since the cabinet committee has been created, I doubt the government will even consider HINDRAF’s proposal. And nothing will happen without MIC being involved as its the BN spirit not to sideline its coalition members.

Opps…KIMMA does it again

July 16th, 2008
|  Subscribe in a reader | Subscribe to poobalan.com by Email


Is this another candidate for Malaysian Book of Records? Or maybe Guinness even? Can’t blame these guys for not trying. This time, KIMMA decides to join the protest bandwagon and says that it will organise a protest of 10,000 people (looks like have to close quite a few mamak shops for half day) and hand in memorandum (READ: fill up garbage bin) to PM’s Office.Its president Muhammed Ali Naina Mohd said that they had applied to be Barisan Nasional members five times, but had been rejected every time. Well, that’s pretty obvious. If you are applying for 6th time, it means the last 5 times failed.

It seems that KIMMA is one of the biggest loser since there were no Indian Muslim councillors, senators or MPs from Kimma.

Asked if they had considered joining the Pakatan Rakyat government, the president of KIMMA said it “is under consideration” but they had never applied.

I thought KIMMA is already IN BN by virtue of joining with PPP? KIMMA also asked for bumiputera status, but most likely not entertained.